Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the guys at work put gas in the work duramax. What is the best way to get the fuel out of the tank prefrebly without dropping the tank is there a hand pump you can buy?

·
Registered
269 Posts
ya they actually sell one at wally world... just saw one there the other day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
KEVINL;1603783; said:
Well the guys at work put gas in the work duramax. What is the best way to get the fuel out of the tank prefrebly without dropping the tank is there a hand pump you can buy?

Well did they run it?

Siphoning wouldnt be too hard. Stick a nice sized tube in the tank and get a compressor and shoot air into the tank until the gas starts flowing...BUT, Dropping the tank would probably be the best thing to do.. Need to get all the gas out of there.

Then you probabaly need to get another fuel filter and prime the hell outta the lines to get the gas out.. Never had this happen before so i'm just giving an option...

best of luck

-Colin

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they ran it till it died I will be changing the fuel filter prime it with the filter off to get all the gas out to that point. And add some fuel supplement to the new tank of diesel

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe time to find new help....or a big DIESEL ONLY sticker.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was up to me they would be fired but the owner makes the final decession. The sad part is they knew the truck was a diesel and they said they put diesel in but obviously they didn't

·
Registered
361 Posts
KEVINL;1604149; said:
If it was up to me they would be fired but the owner makes the final decession. The sad part is they knew the truck was a diesel and they said they put diesel in but obviously they didn't

idiots and liars.. 2 damn good reasons to fire people :D

-Colin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good help is so hard to get now days ! :rolleyes: Not to mention that the gas/diesel in the tank is a Haz. waste now and will have to be dealt with also.:eek:
Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
a guy did that at our company about four months ago...just dont use a shop vac like one our shop guys did!! needless to say he did get about five gallons out and it all caught on fire!! i dont even know what the hell he was thinking. luckily he only got a small spot of 3rd degree burn and some 2nd.

And yes good help is very hard to find!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Can either siphon, or get a drill operated pump and put a long hose on it (they cost about $10 at Napa). With the pump, you can move the hose around in the tank and suck most of it out. If you can get it down to where the low fuel light is coming on, you're in good shape. Fill it w/ diesel and a couple quarts of 2 stroke oil and run it.
Also change the filter as you mentioned.
Our ecxavation sub had his 01 Dmax filled w/ gas (by his own oiler, that guy's unemployed now) and that's what we did with no ill effects.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pumped 22 gallons out low fuel light was on range was 22 miles. I added a whole bottle of power service and some how I put 28 gallons in the 26 gallon tank. Changed the fuel filter when I had the filter off I pumped everything left in the tank with the primer till it was sucking air. Installed new filter primed sysem she started and runs good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Whenever I read threads like this, it make me glad the HOT 20yr old blonde at Carmax knew to read the filler door. Otherwise I'd have had alot more to be mad about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts