Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can get the seal that is on the shaft going from the transfer case to the front axle? Is this called the intermediate shaft? I think I'm going to have to heat the joint to get the shaft to compress enough to get it off. I think this is why the u-joint on the rear of the shaft went in the first place. When I slid the seal down, after unscrewing the lock ring the seal looked like it had a bad spot and the joint looks like it had some rust and crap in it. Any tips on getting this thing out? I thought it was going to be easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have an telescoping drive shaft on your's it should compress faily easy. It might be a little tight but with some help of a pry bar it should move after you unhook the u-joint. The seal serves as an dust seal there sould be a grease zerk on the yolk to grease the splines. Can you feel or see any movement in the splines? You might have to it rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was prying pretty hard and couldn't get it to compress at all. I am greasing and PB Blasting the crap out of it right now and I'm going to heat the crap out of it if I can't get it to move within a week or so.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
That seal would be known as the front transfer case output shaft seal....should be available at any parts store..:)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks partsguy because if I have to heat the shaft, that seal is gonna be fried.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Partsguy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts