Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the purpose of this thread is so I dont litter the board with all my questions, progress updates, and so on. I am just going to update this thread as I go. Probadly it will sprawl out of control, but hey its worth a try.

Opening information. I am not a mechanic, but a hobbiest at best. I know how a engine works, and try to study what I am doing meticulously. When I think I have the basic's down, then I will ask a question to confirm If I'm right. I would Really appreciate if you experienced people would help out here, since I think when I am done, I'll do a whole writeup on how to do the turbo changeout with pictures. That will solve a whole lot of questions in the future I think.

Guipo

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so I got the three important parts

Yup, I did. Intake Manifold in all its glory, exaust manifold, and the turbo. I dont need much else do I?

Yea, I was stuck in that dillusion once. But what I've found, is what looks simplistic often times has some very complicated oddities.

The first thing that I've found is the number 4 injector is too long. You can get a short injector or possibly build some type of spacer. I have no idea how big the spacer is going to need to be, or how i would even build one. So I think the idea's of injectors got very nice. So right now I'm finding out(still havent done it yet) where I get these injectors, model numbers etc. And I've actually concidered because of money contraints just getting that one injector. But I have a 85, and it would be the most benificial to get all the injectors. We'll have to see, maybe I'll get just the one, and replace the rest at a later time. I know what you guys are saying, but it will work, and it will work find. Maybe its not the most optimal setup, but I think it'll work.

The next thing I found out is that I have a 96 turbo. (gm8 i think). It has the little vaccum actuator on it. I assume that a computer controlled part and it needs to be converted to a manual lever(turbo master or such). Am I correct, or can I just hook this directly to my vaccume system.

I also have the plate that goes where my mechanical fuel pump is. I think this is for the return oil line. I dont really want to get rid of my fuel pump, but I understand the advantages of going electric. So we'll have to see if the budget holds. Right now at Kragen they are 70 dollars.

So thats it for now. Any newb's have questions, I'll try to answer them, but dont expect the right answer. Anyone with experience want to add in help, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Guipol

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the injector issue on the passenger side make up some spacers from some 3/8 or 1/2 steel inch plate. Use the exhaust manifold as a pattern this was done on my engine before I bought. This will give you enough clearance to run the stock 6.2 injectors. You could also use a set of short van injectors (6.2) or a set of 6.5 injectors. The fuel lines will need to bent a little for the 6.5 injectors to work I believe or get the fuel injector lines from a 6.5.

As for the oil return line from the turbo you could weld a bung to the front of the oil pan and a hose up to the turbo drain works just fine on my truck as well. For the waste gate controller have a look around this site there are lots of pics for the differant style's of homemade turbo masters they are cheap and easy to build.

The hardest part of this hole conversion I found was making the downpipe But once I had the pieces it went along pretty quickly. For the crossoveer pipe the stock pipe will need to be modified to work the 6.5 driver side manifold kicks out toward the frame were as the 6.2 just dumps straight down. I had one bent up for about $120 canadian lots of screwing around because I wanted it up out of the way. I have some part numbers of the pipes I used to make the downpipe if your intersted. Good luck Trevor.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
question? is the spacer between the heads and the manifold or is it between the manifold and the turbo. I would assume the latter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The spacer is between the passenger side head and the exhaust manifold so there is enough clearance for the stock injectors to be used i'll try for a picture in a bit

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, that must be a pretty intricate job. I wonder if I should get my local machine shop to do something like that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, so here's the parts list as far as I can tell. I'm going to add onto it as I come accross more parts I need. This may not work for all of you, but for me, this is how I'm going to do my Turbo Changeout.

Parts and prices(prices are variable due to ebay)
-----
Turbocharger - 200
intake manifold, both pieces-150
Exaust Manifold.-80
Oil lines, to and from the turbo
Oil return plate(goes over mechanical fuel pump hole)
electric fuel pump-70
1 van or 6.5l injector or a spacer. (6.5 injectors might not have enough pressure with origional pump.)
crossover pipe
up pipe
boost gauge-25
egt gauge-75
various gaskets-25
airbox or filter setup

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Question!!

does a 6.2 injection pump have enough pressure for 6.5 injectors?

·
Registered
67 Posts

From the picture you can see a piece of plate between the head and the exhaust manifold. By doing this there is enough clearance for the stock injectors to work. If I were going to make another set of them I would take the exhaust manifold clean all the mating surfaces spray with machinist blue or spray paint and place the manifold face down on a pice of cardboard now you have a template cut out the template transfer to the piece of plate steel and cut it out with a plasma cutter or a set of torches. buy longer bolts and your on your way. Even if you don't have access to the tools to do this a machine shop would more than likely still be cheaper than a set of new injectors. As for the injection pump if you crank up the fuel rate there should be more than enough pressure for the 6.5 injectors. * Note one spacer per port 4 total.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahhh, spacer per exaust port. I thought you were making just one big spacer over the whole manifold surface.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That would be another way to make it duh I never thought of that. Take an exhaust manifold gasket for a template and cut out one for the whole bank of cylinders it would make installing it a hell of a lot easier than four seperate ones. By the way when I put mine togethor there was no front end on the truck made fabbing the down pipe way easier.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
updated for known roundabout prices.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's my next question. Should the fuel pump have a regulator or just hook it up as is.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
A little insight on why your #4 injector is too long. When the 6.5 was made, the injector angles in the heads were changed allowing the injcetors to not stick out so far. I have run factory 6.5 setups with 6.5 heads and there is no interferance issue. The early 6.2 vans used a short injector, same length as a 6.5 but with 6.2 pressures, but they also used different injector lines. Sometimes lines can be carefully tweaked to make them fit, but usually means abandoning factory injector tie downs and then new tie downs need to be made.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
does a 6.2 injection pump have enough pressure for 6.5 injectors?
A 6.2 pump will make enough pressure to operate a 6.5 injector, yes, BUT, a single 6.5 short body injector has a higher opening pressure and slightly different flow characteristics than a 6.2 long body. Oh, and there are different injectors for 6.2, 6.5 na and 6.5 turbo engines. But they Look pretty much the same.

Obviously, if money grew on trees, the way to do it would be to buy a 4911 pump for a 6.5 turbo and 8 6.5 turbo injectors.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I put 6.5 turbo injectors on mine and cranked up my 6.2 pump. didnt' need a spacer, but I had to get a thinwalled socket to tighten the injectors since my 85 heads have the injectors angled different, and they were close to the headbolts. thanks to trevor, my downpipe is in the frame, but i had to use a 2" bodylift.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying a 6.2 injector from a old hummer. They were short injectors, so they should work just fine.

Everytime I look under the engie for the downpipe, it just dosent look that hard. I guess I dont have it on yet, but it seems that for you guys its one of the most difficult things that you guys with the conversion have encountered. Not counting the downpipe/uppipe, I only have 3 things left to get. fuel pump, gaskets and a air filter. Looking at installing in 2-3 weeks. Pictures to follow!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the hummer uses the same fuel injectors as a 82. They will not work for this application. I have bought the correct injector now.

now, I've been compling a list of the major things you have to do to do this, and I've tried to keep it in pretty good order. So without further ado, here it is. This list may be not correct or updated at any time!

1.take our mech. Fuel pump
2.install fuel pump
3.install oil return plate
4.install injector number 4
5.bend no 4 line
6.move battery no. 2
7.install oil to the turbo line
8.install manual wastegate control on the turbo
9.remove glow plug wires from glow plugs, set them aside
10.take off exhaust manifold
11.take off intake manifold
12.turn up fuel pump