Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was down at dealer helping sis get new Aveo(wayyy too small), anyway, they have 2 lifted HD's there, asked him how much and warranty problems. He(salesman) told me that as long as lift is done by Chevy approved companies warranty is in full effect at any dealer. This WAS a salesman not Chevy rep.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This is my 2nd lifted Dmax and I have never even been looked at funny for warranty work because my truck was lifted. Now I'm not saying any dealer will do warranty work on a lifted truck but where I live (out west), most dealers are accustomed to seeing them and have no problems with working on a lifted vehicle as long as it was done correctly.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My truck was lifted when I bought it and still inder factory warranty. I bought the extended. and made suret hey *specifically* stated that the truck was lifted with 35's at the time of purchase. So I think they would coevr it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I wonder is if Chevy gets as tight as ferd on warranty work. You know the "no modifications clause". That's why I asked. Also asked cost... 12K!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!! For that they also get a tube grille and a dash kit.

Also wasn't impressed with kit... no brand ID but lots of brackets lowering upper A arm, I can see the alignment issues here

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
"No modifications" is flat out illegal per Magnusson-Moss.

The dealer or manufacturer can not require that work be done at the dealership or use only dealer-supplied parts unless they furnish the parts for free (and not free as in the 6 "free" oil changes that you may have bought as a part of the package to get you through 30k)

IF aftermarket parts have been installed and there is a failure, the manufacturer must PROVE that the aftermartet parts caused the failure before they can deny warranty service.
In some cases, a preemptive notification is acceptable, such as GM's recent letter campaign to '06 LBZ (not '06 LLY) owners that aftermarket programmers would void their transmission warranty. I'm sure this is the result of Allison informing GM that the LBZ already has the maximum acceptable power level for a 1000 series slushbox.

None of these protections are in effect for extended warranties. Extended warranties are not warranties at all, but rather, service contracts. Extended service contracts CAN require that you use specific parts and have service performed at specific facilities.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My dealership told me that the pro comp lift is approved by gm, and is under warranty at any gm dealership as long as the lift was done at a gm dealership.Also called a dealership down the road fifty miles, they said the same thing. I think that they can warranty any of the pickups with any brand lift on if they want to. Gm doesn't have to know it is lifted. it is up to the dealership as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to work at a stealer, back then it was no problem, but we've all heard the stories of dealers not honoring warranties because of lifts.

Posted this mostly for info, been getting lots of new topics started about this

·
Registered
95 Posts
Prolly true but always get it in writing

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
this is why it pays to know the service manager on a personal level....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts