Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some troubleshooting help. I have a 2003 Duramax and a few days ago noticed that my none of my guages were working anymore. Well I saw a recall notice a few months ago and kinda thought that was the problem. So I parked the truck and was planning on getting it to a dealer to have them look at it.

Went out to drive it today and it won't start the batteries are low and it won't turn over. I just replaced both of the batteries this summer so I don't think the batteries are the problem. I am beginning to believe these two problems are related. Has anyone had this issue or where do I start with trying to find out what the problem is?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
The 03 cluster is highly voltage sensitive. Have your batteries tested separately and check for connection problems.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
agreed, with one low battery the gauges will not work(had that last year) and a different situation from the recall.

give your batteries a good charge and then have them load tested to see where you're at.

·
Registered
441 Posts
x2 on voltage...

How is your serpentine belt? Check the ground leads? Check the alternator output?

·
Registered
389 Posts
this happened to mine the other day my gm tech said to un hook both of the batties and put the neg and pos and touch then together for 10 sec and then hook it back up no joke it worked on mine

·
Registered
92 Posts
my 03 had been sitting around for a while with out being used. I started it the other day and it cranked over pretty slow like a battery was bad or low. Then i noticed that none of the gauges were working. After driving it a bit i tested the batteries and both tested good. Would a guy need to disconnect the batteries to test them individually? Or is this a warranty issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I charged the batteries and guess what the guages are now working fine. The alternater is charging correctly.

I am now trying to understand why the batteries were low.

I have a radar detector that I leave plugged in, would this cause the battery to discharge over a period of a 3 or 4 days without being driven?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have a radar detector that I leave plugged in, would this cause the battery to discharge over a period of a 3 or 4 days without being driven?
x2

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just the truck alone will draw about 20 milliamps and then with the radar plugged in to could possibly drain the batteries. I would have a draw test done to see if the computers on the truck are shutting down.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I'd still suggest having each battery tested separately. Most chain auto parts stores will do it for you for free.

We have all kinds of accessories plugged into ours and very seldom have a problem.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Stock GM batteries are pretty much crap, and they do not, in most cases, last very long.

Look at it this way, the cluster not starting up is a nice warning sign that you have to replace your batteries, so you don't get stranded later....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts