Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

I originally posted this in the 6.5 forum, but am posting here as well on Tony's suggestion:

I have a pyrometer and a trans temp guage to install in my 98 Sierra 6.5. What is the general concencus regarding location of the thermocouple. Pre-Turbo, Post-Turbo, or "doesn't really matter"?

Also, what temperature ranges (pre or post, and trans) should I expect?

(Forgive me if this has been hashed out already here, I don't see any postings on this topic and I'm fairly new here
)

Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ditto guys,

Except mine is a 6.6 duramax. I'm about to buy a fifth wheel and want to run the same guages. Pics are nice
and I know somebody has already done this. Even a bookmark would help!

Doug

·
Registered
514 Posts
Search thru the Do It Yourself and Helpful Articles section for the gauge install on a Dmax.

·
Registered
514 Posts
thewoz, go to www.kennedydiesel.com and look at the tech tips. That should provide all of the answers to your questions.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Zeeb,

I appreciate the link, when I did a search it came back with 7889 responses. Just a bit more reading than I wanted to do!

EGTs are very important when towing and I want to be able to vacation without wondering if something has melted in the engine.

THANKS!

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! I've decided that the pyro will go pre-turbo, just below the turbo as per John Kennedy's site (looks like a good location for measurement, easy to reach and inspect, and looks like it's practically made to have a sensor installed).

The trans temp is likely going in the sump. The gauge I ordered comes with a fitting to braze into the pan, rather than tee into the line to the cooler, and I haven't found a convincing reason not to put it there, (yet).

thewoz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts