Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have decided to upgrade my turbo this spring and have researched alot of options on this site. As of today I feel the GT42R that McRat has tested fits my bill but I am also looking at Nathan's twin setup. My sig show what I have today so I'm ready for the upgrade. I broke it down as follows. Please give me some feedback on my math.

GT42R

Turbo - $4200
Install kit - $1600 (PPE site)
Duel fueler - $3500
EFILive - $1200 (+tune?)
Head studs - $1100 (better safe than sorry)
Labor to install $2300 (20% of total)
Total = $13,900

Twins

Nathan's twins - $4500
Install kit/mods - ???
Dual fueler - $3500
EFILive - $1200
Head studs - $1100
Labor - $3000 (30%, install more labor intensive?)
Total = $13,300

So depending on install modifications it looks like on paper that the twins win? Plus, do the twins have more flexibility to throw HP at it while maintaining EGT's? McRat, I know your only in the beginning stages of the testing on the 42 as you still have more room for tuning, injectors, etc. Please any thoughts? Am I close in the dollars? What have I missed. Thanks DP members. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My suggestion is for a set of MPI Twins...you won't regret it. The install is not too difficult to do yourself (at least the twins part). Nathan has full instructions, GREAT technical support (unless he is elk hunting in the mountains:rolleyes: )...

If you need pics or further info, you can PM me about my twin setup!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I really don't think you would ever be sorry with the twins. Where did you get your price for the head studs? They are less then $800 from ATS and I think less than that elsewhere. I thought the EFI Live was in the $700 range?
There are a bunch of us who have had MPI twins and loved their performance. The LLY is a great engine for twins since the stock VVT works so well with them. Idaho Rob got his LLY into the 11's with twin turbos and a single CP3. Your exhaust temps are controlled well and low end response is great with little or no lag.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Little high on the head studs there around 650, efi live is around 750 with tune, and I think they sell the gt42 kits for around 3800 to 4000 dont need the install kit

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
the GT42 is really 4 grand??? :eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DURAtotheMAX;1578684; said:
the GT42 is really 4 grand??? :eek:
I believe that is for the upper end GT42 (which is the one I'm looking at). There is another version around $3200 or so if I am correct.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hard to get a non-bias answer.

The guys that have had twins, love the way they run and sound and look.

The guys with big singles feel the same.

Too bad someone hasn't tested both set-ups on their trucks and sell both. That would be the best info.

Properly tuned trucks running both systems have run in the 11's. I did it with one cp3 in a crew cab with twins(here is my biased opinion):D

Pulling, racing, towing, street use, etc., this is where you need to weight the results of the two set-ups.

You don't need studs in my opinion.

Good luck in your choice, my new truck will have twins on it again(bias):D

You'll most likely love either one depending on your trucks use.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Turbo 4200 no install kit needed
Duel Fueler call around they can be had for a chunk less
efi is 750 + a tune
studs 650
Might want to look into rods.
I would go for the twins though. My $.02.

DMAXBOB

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Before you jump in with both feet, you have to seriously consider the potential damage your stock motor could suffer with either twins or the big single. I'd hold off on the twin CP3 setup if you are not ready to build the motor. If you think you can run the twin CP3's and keep the tune small, then go ahead. If not, be ready to beef up your motor. I'm not saying it can't take it, I'm saying it is a big risk if you go this big. You can PM me if you have any more questions. Both setups will work good for you, but I'm voting for Twins too! Your EGT's will thank you!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The prices listed are wrong.

The PPE GT42R is a complete install kit, water-cooled ball-bearing setup.

EFILive is at most $749.

The twins are a great setup. It depends on what you want.

Don't sell the GT42R setup short though. It is capable of alot more power than I run in Casper. It's "clean-air emissions" at 750hp.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
What he said:
McRat;1578791; said:
The prices listed are wrong.

The PPE GT42R is a complete install kit, water-cooled ball-bearing setup.

EFILive is at most $749.

The twins are a great setup. It depends on what you want.

Don't sell the GT42R setup short though. It is capable of alot more power than I run in Casper. It's "clean-air emissions" at 750hp.
It will only cost a hair more for twins vs. the single you want. That is hardly any reason to count the twins out. The twins are capable to flow as much air as the GT42R, so that is a null point. The install is not all that difficult. No more of a PITA than a single charger install.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
That is a tough decision, having seen Nathan's twins and being fortunate enough to get a ride in a twinned truck I was very impressed to say the least.......;)

I also agree with bobo, either combo has the potential to make serious power and do serious damage to a stock motor.

You will have to at least put rods into the motor and head studs to be somewhat safe.

Good Luck.

T;) NY

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
IMO, it depends on what you are gonna do with your truck. If you are just into driving a fast truck and drag racing, then I'd say the twins are a better choice due to lower egts, just as much air and not a whole lot more jingle. IF, however, you are into truck pulling, the twins will put you in a class WAY above what a "normal" truck is that comes off the street so a single would most likely be the way to go for you.

Thats my 2% of a dollar. :D

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I like the thought of having twins to but around here if your running twins your not aloud to pull at most events, even if the class is a run what you brung I dont get how they wright the rule book while your there

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I just got nathans twins shipped to me. The kit seems easy enough to do by yourself. I worked overtime for many days to afford the setup. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Goalnightx;1578691; said:
I believe that is for the upper end GT42 (which is the one I'm looking at). There is another version around $3200 or so if I am correct.
I bought new a new GT42r ball bearing turbo on eBay for $1500. That is a stock GT42r and doesn't include a pedestal which you would have to buy. I think the ones that McRat is selling also have a modified housing but not sure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.