Diesel Place banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Guys, any alternative spot to mount that frame to firewall ground strap ? That's a PITA to get at ! thanks boys
Got a long ground hanging from front passenger tire (to the rear of the tire to be exact) frame 2 woven ground cables here.. 1 Ground goes to a bolt on the fire wall below passenger hvac, The other is just hanging.. It's really long, probably 18 inches, it is a braided one. Any Ideas?

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Holy Resurrection BATMAN!

HOLY RESURRECTION BATMAN!!!!

A 2007 THREAD!?

Man, there must be a Cylon Resurrection ship near by.......:HiHi: :hehe:

Long, dead and buried and it gets pulled out of no where.......:wtf:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Got a long ground hanging from front passenger tire (to the rear of the tire to be exact) frame 2 woven ground cables here.. 1 Ground goes to a bolt on the fire wall below passenger hvac, The other is just hanging.. It's really long, probably 18 inches, it is a braided one. Any Ideas?
Jesus, best to start new threads when you are having issues. Most will check first page, see the thread is old and move on to something else.

You should have a ground from back of passenger intake manifold to fire wall and from back of passenger intake manifold to the frame behind the front passenger tire.

Recommend replacing the braided grounds with heavier gauge wire and thoroughly clean the contact points on the intake manifold, frame and firewall.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I made new ground wires out of air craft cable with ends crimped and soldered on. Working so far.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I add ground wires directly from the battery to the stud on the intake and to the frame.

Reactions: VanBoy

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
At least he used the search function...

No doubt....he's "resurrected" a few old threads from what I've seen....the last I recall was a 2010.

This forum doesn't have an archive? I thought I've seen archived threads on internet searches...but when is it get archived....

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
No doubt....he's "resurrected" a few old threads from what I've seen....the last I recall was a 2010.

This forum doesn't have an archive? I thought I've seen archived threads on internet searches...but when is it get archived....
All of the older threads were unlocked a couple of months ago by the staff to boost new membership and participation on the DP forums.

We are seeing an increase in new members across DP. We are also seeing old threads appearing with new posts.

We all want our new members to participate and get the benefits from the knowledge available here.

Veteran members - respectfully guide our new members into posting questions and issues in new threads.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Some of the old threads, like this one, hold valuable info that takes time to repeat.

I think reviving old threads saves time. It saves me time in searches because they come up at the front of the line.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can you purchase welding cable at Home Depot to Replace Grounds? Can I get away with 4ga stereo wire?

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Can you purchase welding cable at Home Depot to Replace Grounds? Can I get away with 4ga stereo wire?
I would think anything that corrosion resistant and flexible would be fine

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I mentioned this in the other post (1996 Alternator Question), but since it applies here too I thought I post it....

".....But as for grounds, grounds and more grounds.....I first measured all combinations of grounds resistance on the original OEM Grounds. IE: battery neg to engine, engine to body, body to frame, frame to battery neg, etc. Then I cleaned and reattached all the OEM grounds. I lost about 3 OHMS of resistance. I then made and installed my own 'extra' grounds (copper welding lead wire). I went frame to body, body to engine, and you guess it, I lost another almost three ohms of resistance....."

A total of 6ohms less resistance overall!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like Im missing my ground from front passenger side intake to battery. Thanks not good. Gonna have to go over my truck tomorrow and see what else im missing, also should do some cleaning while im at it.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,660 Posts
I replaced the ground straps on the passenger side and welded a stud to the frame. The bolt hole on the passenger side on top of the frame near the starter had stripped and was loose. Here's some pictures of the straps I bought with thicker tinned copper lugs. Installed with a lock washer so shouldnt loosen.

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,660 Posts
Reactions: guybb3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some threads never die...and with good reason. Lots of good nuggets here. I had some ground straps from an old spot welder that got chucked where I work, so I stuck those in the place of the rotten-in-half factory ones years ago when working on a starter issue. My truck is hard to start and has been since I got it. It seems as the timing is very late while cranking but once I let off the starter it runs very well. I suspect that the ECM and its sensors might be floating a bit and I figure that there is a distinct possibility that faulty grounding may be at fault. As such, my next project on it is to do a thorough re-grounding of the entire vehicle and I am here in my quest for good reference information to locate all of the grounds that SHOULD be there so that I can search for the dangling wires if they aren't.

My thanks to all who have contributed. Hopefully I will be diligent enough to post an update.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, thank you and another THANK YOU to the OP and all the contributors for this great thread. I spent all of this morning going through all of the grounds shown in this thread, except for the one at the end of the optical sensor harness. Did not want to pull my upper plenum. Maybe another day.

I am also in the process of making new battery, alternator and starter cables from 1/0 tinned strand wire So far have the driver negative wire connected to the driver intake stud behind the alternator. Seems to run better with all of the cleaning of grounds and the new 1/0 driver side negative battery cable.

Btw, pulling the passenger inner fender was a god send! If gives you so much more access. I may go ahead and buy some new glow plugs and injectors while I have it off :)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.