Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So when I rub regular old grease on my Batt connections am I not getting as much current/flow and/or ground?

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
So when I rub regular old grease on my Batt connections am I not getting as much current/flow and/or ground?

Thanks,
Louis
Correct if you coat the terminals before attaching the cables. I usually coat the area with conductive grease around the base before attaching top post connectors and on the top after connecting to prevent any air from getting in that could cause oxidation. I also completely coat the area surrounding the clamp bolt. I coat the perimeter of side post connections before making them and the visible area after making the connection.
No air most often equates to no corrosion

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well better go wipe off the grease I just smeared all over the Batt connections......thanks for the advise.......I would imagine any AutoZone or like parts store would have this conductive grease?...Correct?

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The grease you have on is fine as long as you didn't coat the terminals before attaching the cables. Then it is possible that you could be interfering with your connections. The important thing is to coat the connections to keep air from getting to them. If you have a good connection I wouldn't worry about it.
It is nice to have some conductive connection grease around though. I use it on just about all wire connections. You have to be very careful on multi-terminal connections - due to the fact that it is conductive. I usually just apply a small amount to the female side and dialectic grease on the outside.

I buy my conductive connection grease at an electrical supply house.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The grease you have on is fine as long as you didn't coat the terminals before attaching the cables. Then it is possible that you could be interfering with your connections. The important thing is to coat the connections to keep air from getting to them. If you have a good connection I wouldn't worry about it.
It is nice to have some conductive connection grease around though. I use it on just about all wire connections. You have to be very careful on multi-terminal connections - due to the fact that it is conductive. I usually just apply a small amount to the female side and dialectic grease on the outside.

I coated the terminals before attaching them.

Louis

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

I coated the terminals Before Attaching them..... :duh:

Thanks Again,
Louis

·
Registered
537 Posts
I usually just spray the red gooey, tacky, sticky stuff on connections after I tighten them...does a pretty good job of keeping air/water out of loop.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I usually just spray the red gooey, tacky, sticky stuff on connections after I tighten them...does a pretty good job of keeping air/water out of loop.

That stuff got a name?

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Electric grease

Dialectic grease ......Or Good ole Johnson & Johnson petroleum jelly will due in a........Tight pinch :D HA HA
Sorry for ya you happy fellers out there ......who do not have GIRL friends with that self lubricating hidden switch ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you buy ground straps, or can you replace them with wire?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not sure where you can buy the straps, but if you decide on wire use welding cable. The wire needs to be very flexable, just like the straps, or it will probably break right when you don't need it to. [One of those Murphy's Law deals]

·
Registered
124 Posts
the grounds straps are still around got some for the 98 just ago I got them from gm I don't think to bad of price

·
Registered
953 Posts
I used 4 ga power cables from the stereo shop. Some auto parts stores sell 4 ga and 2 ga power cables by the foot. Be sure to get copper end connectors. I used crimp-on ones. I used a big pair of pliers and crimped the daylights out of them. Much better than regular woven grounds in my opinion. Welding cable would be fine as well.

See this post: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254569

Rob :)

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I used 4 ga power cables from the stereo shop. Some auto parts stores sell 4 ga and 2 ga power cables by the foot. Be sure to get copper end connectors. I used crimp-on ones. I used a big pair of pliers and crimped the daylights out of them. Much better than regular woven grounds in my opinion. Welding cable would be fine as well.

See this post: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254569

Rob :)
Works even better if you solder the coonnectors after crimping them & use conductive connection grease on assembly.

Reactions: mbost

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
the grounds straps are still around got some for the 98 just ago I got them from gm I don't think to bad of price

You wouldn't happen to have a part# for those ground straps?.......
I went to the stealer but they couldn't find the right one's, either there to short or......

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not a GM part number, but a woven ground strap, is a woven ground strap, I guess...
NAPA # 711699 "Bonding Strap, 10 ga. 16" long". was about $10.00 IIRC.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Guys, any alternative spot to mount that frame to firewall ground strap ? That's a PITA to get at ! thanks boys

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Guys, any alternative spot to mount that frame to firewall ground strap ? That's a PITA to get at ! thanks boys
Aint that the truth. Thought I had it pretty well cleaned up back in the spring when I cleaned all the others. I cleaned it up again when I had the inner fenderwell out to do my glow plugs was much easier to get at. It's not that hard to pull the inner fender. It's like 13 bolts, but I did use an air ratchet:D.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I've used ribbon type ground straps to add extra grounds to the firewall from the engine and battery cables with lugs on both ends to add extra grounds from the engine to the frame. Redundency is good. If one fails you still have the other to do the job.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.