Diesel Place banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not completely 6.5 related but I think it's very relavent.

We always hear the people in the know around here (gmctd in particular) talking about checking your grounds for almost every problem under the sun.....

Q. "Yeah I got a slow leak in my passenger's side rear tire, what could the problem be?"

A. gmctd, "Um....take it to a tire shop and have them check to see if you picked up a nail or have a poor seal around the rim, and check your grounds from the intake to the fire wall on the passenger's side." :D

Okay, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

What I discovered yesterday had nothing to do with my truck but a haunting problem with my outboard motor was fixed by finding a bad ground wire.

I have had starting issues with my outboard since I bought it last year. It was hard starting, the starter would spin but wouldn't engage. The repeated attempts to start would cause it to flood, you get the picture. I tried all the usual stuff. Changed spark plugs, put in fresh gas, tinkered with this and that and still nothing. I was getting ready to take it in to have it looked at.

Yesterday as I was getting the boat ready to go out fishing, I was checking a little homemade terminal block that the PO had set up to connect the cables from the battery, to the cables going to the motor. I gave it a little wiggle and low and behold didn't the negative cable coming from the battery fall right out of it's little crimp on connector! Bad ground!

I stripped back the wire a little, made sure it was seated properly, re-crimped and soldered and viola, all fixed. It started like a champ each and every time we were out on the lake.

So kids...remember to check those grounds and keep your head up and your stick on the ice! :D (just thought I'd throw in a little hockey advise there too eh)

Dave

PS - Happy Father's Day to all the Daddys in Da House!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.