Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I am a firm believer in using conductive electrical grease, never seez and dialectic grease on connections.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Conductive grease is conductive - like the wire. Many greases like dialectic grease are non-conductive. I have some conductive copper never seez that I like to use but I'm about out and bought a small amount of a differant style of conductive grease that I don't like as well. Fastenal had some copper never seez of a differant brand but it was non-conductive which I found surprising. So not all copper anti-seez lubricants are conductive.
If anybody knows where I can buy conductive copper anti-seez please send me the manufacturer & as much other info as you can.
You can check for conductivity or lack there of of the grease or antiseez with a continuity tester. If you put both probes in and you have continuity it's conductive.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,526 Posts

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
So when I rub regular old grease on my Batt connections am I not getting as much current/flow and/or ground?

Thanks,
Louis
Correct if you coat the terminals before attaching the cables. I usually coat the area with conductive grease around the base before attaching top post connectors and on the top after connecting to prevent any air from getting in that could cause oxidation. I also completely coat the area surrounding the clamp bolt. I coat the perimeter of side post connections before making them and the visible area after making the connection.
No air most often equates to no corrosion

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The grease you have on is fine as long as you didn't coat the terminals before attaching the cables. Then it is possible that you could be interfering with your connections. The important thing is to coat the connections to keep air from getting to them. If you have a good connection I wouldn't worry about it.
It is nice to have some conductive connection grease around though. I use it on just about all wire connections. You have to be very careful on multi-terminal connections - due to the fact that it is conductive. I usually just apply a small amount to the female side and dialectic grease on the outside.

I buy my conductive connection grease at an electrical supply house.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I used 4 ga power cables from the stereo shop. Some auto parts stores sell 4 ga and 2 ga power cables by the foot. Be sure to get copper end connectors. I used crimp-on ones. I used a big pair of pliers and crimped the daylights out of them. Much better than regular woven grounds in my opinion. Welding cable would be fine as well.

See this post: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254569

Rob :)
Works even better if you solder the coonnectors after crimping them & use conductive connection grease on assembly.

Reactions: mbost

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I add ground wires directly from the battery to the stud on the intake and to the frame.

Reactions: VanBoy

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Some of the old threads, like this one, hold valuable info that takes time to repeat.

I think reviving old threads saves time. It saves me time in searches because they come up at the front of the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.