Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cool bear footage but the guy who shot it was WACKED!.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cool bear footage but the guy who shot it was WHACKED!.
:exactly:

I'm surprised this guy lived long enough to shoot the footage they used in that movie. He treats those bears like I would my pet Lab. No small wonder he ended up as a snack. I remember reading an article about this guy who was killed, along with his girlfriend. The pilot who was supposed to fly them out found their remains. The responding park Rangers killed one bear that attacked them near the remains and another bear that was stalking them, looking for another meal. Makes you wonder about how his interactions with those bears effected their behavior towards man. There was also an audio recording from the dead guy's video recorder that memorialized his last few minutes.

Edit: Link to story-
http://outside.away.com/outside/news/200401/200401_blood_brothers_1.html

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah he made a mistake by letting them get "used to" humans (if you can call a wacked out hippie human).

I really thought the show was going to be about nature and bears and it turned out being a show about some freak.

But it was amazing how he touched the bears and they were afraid of him.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
can you say village idiot?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems all the wackjobs like to migrate to Alaska.....

I get a bear in my backyard every now and then, hell would freez over before I went outside and tried to "pet" it.

Wild animals should be left alone, only time I touch a moose is after I shoot it.

Treadwell would of like to thought he was accepted by bears, or that he was even in control. But now thier is one less idiot here, and thats fine by me.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I liked that article.....good writer.

Shame we had to kill a bear just doing what it normally does.....just because some idiot wanted to end up in bear poop.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im thinking we could capture the bears and bring them to San Francisco and set them free so all the wacked out lefties could pet them and love them and become one with the universe..

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Im thinking we could capture the bears and bring them to San Francisco and set them free so all the wacked out lefties could pet them and love them and become one with the universe..
Thats the funny thing.......most lefties talk about how they love wildlife and the like from their cushy apartments........not really outdoorsmen if you ask me......

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It seems all the wackjobs like to migrate to Alaska.....

I get a bear in my backyard every now and then, hell would freez over before I went outside and tried to "pet" it.

Wild animals should be left alone, only time I touch a moose is after I shoot it.

Treadwell would of like to thought he was accepted by bears, or that he was even in control. But now thier is one less idiot here, and thats fine by me.

One night i went to get something out of my truck ..there was a bear in the back of my box eating a bag of garbage...I never tryed to shooe it away or pet it. I high tailed it in to the house and locked the doors.. same one (I think..) tryed to get in through my glass doors a different time.. had the garabage sitting by the windows.. it was locked thanks goodness.. you cant just shoot them here.. (you cant even have a gun)....:cool: they trap them and move them and keep comeing back.. I think if you live close to nature you have to expect this..
also had a coyote kill my moms dog right on the moto track in the morning in front of me .. i chased that little bastard down the field till he dropped the dog.. by then it was too late.. he broke her neck.. :( ........ thats nature though isnt it...

I wonder if that girl he was with had her period when she was out there.. we were taught to stay outta the woods if we where pms'n..

scent of blood can be carried for miles away..:badidea:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
PC that would solve 99% of the problems in CA. It will NEVER happen, these people need to have their "problems" so they can go see their Shrink with issues that people in the rest of the country shrug off every day.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Jenn, thats a very good point about the G/F and her period.

I guess this is another example of "humans really aren't the top of the foodchain"

·
Registered
338 Posts
Jenn you could be right we have animals around all the time if you leave them alone and dont let them get into any garbage thay often leave if thay hange around and get to close thay get put down dosent happen to often if you dont give them a reason to stay

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Jen.....

If a bear has your daughter in his mouth you have no way to save or protect her?

Your goverment believes bears are more important than people?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If a bear or any animal attacks/ gets my kids .. i have a shovel/stick my foot/ fists. my bare hands and pure addreline.... what ever is handy... ill do what ever i can to save my child..this momma bear is alot scarier than any wild animal when it comes to protecting my cubs..... that coyote certainly looked at me funny.. when i was charging up the field with a shovel after it ...

the gov protects animals to a certain point.. untill they actually attack they are protected.... there was a grizzley up in the valley that they moved to the Kootenys from here.. that SOB kept coming back.. thousands of miles . he was killing cows.. they tried to relocate him twice.. finally shot him...

they are amasing ..deadly animals ....... not to mention cougers we have too.. which are worse then bears.. who actually stock and pull ya right off your horse when your in the back country..... this is no place for *****'s got be tough here to survive........

garbage is the main attracter of bears.. we all know that.. and the smell of fresh blood.....

oh btw. I am lefthanded..:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
He did this for 13 years... Just got lax, broke a LOT of safety rules, and likely went back too late in the season, so he became bear food.

A gun will not save you from being stupid. A large majority have a false sense of security and would have a big stain in their pants trying to pull it out of the holster fast enough and be bear food themselves let alone hit something accruately with a surprise bear attack.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Da man was a Loon, but a good videographer!!!

You should have heard the radio stations up here immediately after he and his girlfriend were killed. They had a hayday mocking him. One station suggested that Timothy's next book should be titled "Inside the Alaskan Brown Bear" as just one example of what was being aired.

I bothered to go see the movie, although I figured it would be an attempt to make a martyr out of him. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film makers simply let him and his bunny hugger friends using their own words and images define themselves as the fools that they are. His persona was based on half truths and untruths which were cultivated to ply the heartstrings of school children and the animal rights crowd which was where he got his support. His contention that he was standing up to hunters "protecting" the bears was crap as the area was/is off limits to hunting. Don't want to speak ill of the dead, but all that he accomplished was to kill himself, his girlfriend, and 2 of his beloved bears.

I must admit some of the footage he shot was pretty good though, especially the fighting between the big males. Impossible to watch that and not respect the power of these awesome animals.

As for guns...... It is best to carry something that is sufficient to break down a charging bear (short barreled shotgun with slugs is good). Bears have extremly strong bones, and lighter caliber bullets often don't break the shoulders or penetrate the skull which is what you need to do to avoid an attack after the shot. Many carry pistols for protection, even to popular (read crowded) fishing spots like the Russian River. There have been lots of encounters and several maulings there over the past couple of years at that river. 4 years ago a guy emptied a 9mm into a charging Grizz on the Russian killing it before he was mauled. Was deemed self defense from a problem bear.

Lastly, I know several people with whom I bow hunt have killed Grizzlys with their bows. I pack when bow hunting, although with the right opportunity I might also be tempted to take a shot with my bow on an unsuspecting bear. Well placed arrows produce devastating wounds, but if a bear knows where the shot originated they can do alot of damage in the time it takes for them to expire, so I would think before I decided which to draw; my bow - or my .44.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts