Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 dmax/zf-6 with the manual transfer case. Whenever I pull back the lever to put it in 4wd hi it grinds really bad when Im moving. Ive tried pushing the clutch in while doing it and putting in neutral. but still whenever Im moving and try to lock it in it just grinds and won't go in until i come to a stop. Should it be like this?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
On my old trucks, I always came to a stop before shifting a manual transfer case.

The transfer case is hooked to the front and rear diffs, so the clutch has no effect on it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend has an truck just like mine except ex cab and LS package. He also has the zf-6 and manual transfer case but his goes into 4wd hi perfectly and smooth. Any Ideas???

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Mine shifts fine at speed as long as no wheels are spining, sorry i cant help any more!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my buddys will shift fine at any speed to but mine wont shift at all unless completely stopped....anyone else?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are there some kind of syncronizers or something in the t-case that could be out?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
You have a problem in the front diff I think. The fork that the acuator moves to lock in the front diff is getting hung up. If your stopped it goes in fine but if your moving it will not go in and grind. I had this happen on my 96

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
can you feel the grinding in the t-case handle? if yes, then your problem is in the t-case itself, and not the front dif. there is a type of synchro in the t-case, but sadly the only thing that you can do is to remove and split the case to have it replaced.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I can feel it in the handle...so thats probally it. Guess I'll just live with it. What would cause this to happen?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
hard telling what would have caused it...mileage, run with low oil, or perhaps incorrect oil, there are a few things that could have done it. My old man's d-max does this as well, and its the autoshift t-case, his will shift on the fly, as long as your not flying over like 5 or 6 MPH...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I could feel it in the handle as well. It was a nasty grinding sould that wouldn't stop until you stopped or moved the lever back to 2 hi. GM changed out the t case 1st then it still did it so they went into the front diff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts