Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxallitech, I work at a Chevrolet dealership in Albuquerque, NM. We have a very compitent ASE/Master diesel tech in our shop, however, we have a gremlin truck that no one can seem to figure out. Customer has an 03 Ex-Cab SB 4x4 d/a that seems to run just "OK" without a load and gets only 13-14 mpg but drops dramatically to 6 mpg with a small 4000 lb trailer. Truck has about 6100 miles on it. Customer traded in an 02 dually crew cab d/a that got 17-18 mpg empty and around 12-13 mpg pulling the same trailer. Our technician shows no codes and everything shows normal on the tech 2. He has even driven it about 150 miles himself for the customer to try to figure something out, but to no avail. Customer also complains of an intermitent "slip" in the transmission, but with no duplication once it's in the shop. Any thoughts? Customer is very concerned...kind of thinking about going back to a gasser at this point. Thanks for any insight that you may have!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I hope you didn't use his old brake control harness in his new truck
Trailer brakes being help on would definately decrease fuel milage. A long shot but worth mentioning.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Couple things come to mind ......

My Assumptions .....

The color green, as in his motor and running gear is still brandy spank'in new .... He has to let it break in some more ....

Torque, he's prolly enjoying all the new found low end power and can't keep his foot out of it .... How well does it tow that small trailer, bet he says with ease .... Ask what his average MPH is in a diplomatically way without trying to insinuate anything ....

Slip he's referring to prolly is the downshift to 4th from OD ..... Just sits there flat, they all do it,let'her shift back into OD .....

I'm assuming all his problems reside in his right foot .....

Send him over to the "Place" we know a way to solve this dilemma, spelled J U I C E ..... Holding Over Drive with a vengance ,Yessir-rebob ....

I'm come to these conclusion do to you guys have prolly ran a gauntlet of tests and found everything in spec ......

Mac

On Edit; I gotta know what dually gas motor gave him that fuel econo ?? Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mackin, the dually was a durmax as noted in my post, not a gasser...he's thinking of going to a gasser, sorry about the misunderstanding. We did ask him about the "right foot syndrome" and he indicates that he drives it just like his dually. We also mentioned the break in period can differ a lot between trucks and that at 6100 miles, it's still bascically a virgin. I have an 03 GMC that right out of the wrapper was getting 9-10 mpg pulling a 10k trailer and 17 empty around town, and it's getting slightly better. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
''going back to a gasser at this point."

This thru me,but understood .....

Mac

·
Registered
994 Posts
Bartman,

MaxPower may not be far off. Reference the two posts below and read completely. There was at least one case where an individual complained about low power / mileage when pulling a trailer. The techs eventually traced it to using a 2002 brake controller adapter on a 2003 truck. This is worthy of your tech to investigate and make absolutely sure the brake controller is installed correctly.

My D/A EC SB 4x4 gets 15 mpg around town, 18 mpg on the highway and 12-13 mpg pulling a 6k pound travel trailer.

At 6 mpg there is really something wrong. If you cannot fix the problem, GM really needs to consider a buy back and send the truck back to the Michigan engineers (and let them figure the problem out).

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=139&KW=nikki+girl

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=147&KW=nikki+girl

·
Registered
448 Posts
My worst mileage has been about 8 pulling 20,000 lbs of backhoe and triple axle trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts