Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had someone mention to me that adding the torsion keys or simply cranking the torsion bars with longer shocks puts too much angle on the CV joints and boots. Has anyone had issues with their suspension after doing these mods?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had someone mention to me that adding the torsion keys or simply cranking the torsion bars with longer shocks puts too much angle on the CV joints and boots. Has anyone had issues with their suspension after doing these mods?

Any additional angle, whether it be minor is going to adversely affect the joint. Many people have turned up their torsion bars and not had any problems, others have. Alot depends on your usage (boosted launches, truck pulls, etc). A slight increase in height by turning the torsion bars is usually deemed acceptable practice, but keep in mind less angle is better.

One geometry factor that is common to all shafts, regardless of type, is the decrease in u-joint life span that is experienced with an increase in the operating angle of that u-joint.
No matter what the shaft style, the greater the angle a u-joint operates at, the shorter it's life span will be. The graph at the left comes directly from Spicer, and shows the range from 100% expected life span at 0° up to just over 15% expected life span at 20°.

information taken from http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index2.html

U-joints and CV suffer from the same angularity issues.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GreenKey or Cognito

:help: I am new to all this so I have some questions so please bear with me, I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0 and the rake on the truck looks ridiculous and planning a tire change soon on stock rims dueler revos. So here we go,
I am understanding that these so called green keys are available gm products to raise my front end without cranking down the torsion bar bolts. I also realize that shock extensions are needed,
So here are my questions (I do not do any off roading) except occasionally chasing down some subject on the streets of NYC

(1) Will the CV joint bind with this lift
(2) Will it ride [email protected]#$$
(3) will it affect my autoride suspension
(4) Will it affect my tie rods and pitman arm?
(5) Will this cause premature front end wear?
(6) Will it affect my warrantee?

Ok how about this cognito leveling kit, I spoke to them and they sounded very intelligent about their control arms kits but I forgot to ask if I still needed the keys, or about cv joint binding and the ride change we also spoke about the pitman arm kit which they said the stock setup was was a factory flaw design and this would improve it.
Is this all really necessary for this improvement or are they really good salesmen any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
898 Posts
For starters the green keys are nothing more than OE replacement keys that are indexed higher than the ones already on your vehicle. You could crank your OE keys approx. 5-6 full turns and end up where the "green " keys will start out at. IMHO: save your $$ and try cranking the OE keys first.

(1) If you just crank the OE keys enough to level your vehicle they wont bind, but there will be some added stress that may cause them to wear out sooner. How much sooner is debatable and depends on many other factors.
(2) Again thats debatable, however replacing the OE shocks or at least adding spacers will definately help.
(3) Not sure, I dont see why it would.
(4) Again the tie rods and pitman are probably going to wear faster, but there are options available to upgrade.
(5) Depends on who you ask. Im of the opinion that if you spend the $$ for good shocks, use aftermarket tie rods and a pitman, get the truck properly aligned and dont abuse it, NO.
(6) Just cranking the OE keys and "upgrading" your shocks should'nt void any part of your warranty. However the tire you put on may. From what I understand GM will not service a Duramax with anything bigger than a 245 due to transmission programming, but Im not sure if this would apply to a 6L gasser? Either way GM would have to prove that a particular alteration caused specifically caused the problem.

Somebody please correct me if Im wrong anywhere.

I am currently using the Cognito UCA's on my HD, just cranked the OE keys and went with Bilstein 5125's and bought their pitman/idler kit but have yet to put them on. Ive got a 2WD HD so Im probably not the best source of info in that area.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i hqve cranked the t-bars on all of my trucks my dads and my friends and my cousins trucks and we all have never had any problem with the cv shafts and my friend and cousin beat the crap out of their trucks because they are company rigs and we all have good luck with them so crank them as much as you want and just add shock spacers and you will be cool

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
oh and all the trucks are D/A 3 CC SB 2500 and 1 single cab LB 2500

·
Registered
37 Posts
keys

so is it better to get the green keys and not tighten the bolts or crank the down the bolts, and will i need to get the shock extenders and a front end alignment so what is the real benefit from this cognito kit and the pitman arm kit

i think i am going to buy the so called green keys (what is the part #), i will make my own shock extenders is a 2" spacer fine, i just want the truck to sit somewhat level and dont really like the idea about cranking the bolts down so much i like to have some room for error,
will i need an alignment after this is done and what are the specs.
and what about this pitman idler arm support kit is it nessassary
what is the whole idea about this cognito control arm kit is it a huge benifit i have no problem buying it if i makes a great difference

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think i am going to buy the so called green keys (what is the part #), i will make my own shock extenders is a 2" spacer fine, i just want the truck to sit somewhat level and dont really like the idea about cranking the bolts down so much i like to have some room for error,
will i need an alignment after this is done and what are the specs.
and what about this pitman idler arm support kit is it nessassary
what is the whole idea about this cognito control arm kit is it a huge benifit i have no problem buying it if i makes a great difference

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Cranking the bolts accomplishes the exact same thing as green keys. If you don't like the idea of running around with bolts cranked maybe you should crank them first to make sure you like the way it rides, handles, etc. then get the keys once you are sure you like it. If you crank the bolts you can always lower it back down. If you put in keys you probably won't be able to put it back to stock height, if you don't like it, without putting the stock keys back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts