Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are not too many of us with the ATS Co-Pilot, and even fewer using the wire to the instrument cluster, but I am hoping someone knows the answer to my question. I will also call ATS tomorrow, but last time I asked them, I did not get a clear answer.

My question is:

What is the exact meaning of the green light on the Co-Pilot. I went for that past month or so without the wire to the instrument cluster, and the green light never came on. I just got my instrument cluster fixed, and now the green light is coming on, but not when I expected. The instructions for the Co-Pilot says when in tow/haul mode, the torque converter will lock in every gear (including 1<SUP>st</SUP>) above 22mph. It also says that the green light will come on when the TC is locked. My experience is that the green light does NOT come on above 22mph, or even above 50mph for that matter, but does come on during very heavy throttle. I’m just wondering if the TC is really locking at 22mph and above in all conditions.

What I can say for sure is that now the difference in acceleration when in tow/haul is WAY better than before.ere

·
Registered
566 Posts
Amric

My green light functions the same way. I have talked to Carl at ATS about this. He said the light comes on when the boost level is up to the set point on the sub level. So if you power brake your truck the light should come on as you build boost.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Amric said:
What I can say for sure is that now the difference in acceleration when in tow/haul is WAY better than before.

ere

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell the Suncoast guys. Remember......we're stupid for buying ATS.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Yea, we should all take the dash apart and solder wires to the insides! I can see the GM parts guy saying how ya ruin that part??????????????

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
Yea, we should all take the dash apart and solder wires to the insides! I can see the GM parts guy saying how ya ruin that part??????????????

Lock it....Rock it and Accelerate it!

My GM parts guy already knows I lack common sense! Who else would take a perfectly good diesel powered truck add a bunch of power goodies and go out hunting Vettes?

Gotta give ATS credit for the concept. No question the implementation could be better. I would love to find another circuit to tap into to activate that portion of the Co-pilot. But the only thing I know about automotive electrical systems ...is don't touch the red and black wire together!

It's much easier to install on the 01 and 02 cluster, where there is a lug to actually solder to, where as the 03 is just a flush type circuit board.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Trippin said:
Gotta give ATS credit for the concept. No question the implementation could be better. I would love to find another circuit to tap into to activate that portion of the Co-pilot. But the only thing I know about automotive electrical systems ...is don't touch the red and black wire together!

Sure ya do if ya need just alittle more smoke

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Whats that old saying about electrical components being nothing more than boxes of smoke. If you let the smoke out........ it's broken!

Sadly....I have first hand experience with this!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ya just need to know when to lift!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The green light indicates when the converter lockup clutch is on. The copilot only controls it in T/H mode. You should notice the green light coming on sooner when accelerating (above 22 mph) and staying on longer while decelerating (down to 10-12mph) if you have the copilot set to its most agressive settings. Less agressive settings will make the green light come on later when accelerating and and go off sooner when decelerating. The converter will not lock up in 1st gear and likewise the green light will not come in 1st.

Lock it and Rock it Edited by: mtomac

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
To expand on Mtomac's comments, it is my understanding that the light indicates that the Copilot is forcing it on. It will not come on below the user set "level" on the Copilot even though the TCM may be activating it.

Bear in mind there have been multiple different programs for the Copilot...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.