Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I have a 5500 4X4 diesel. It is a great truck! Probably the best I've ever owned. HOWEVER, I am having problems with the stock radio. I have had the truck for 14 months and am going in for the 4th radio - problems vary, but still needing replacement. Apparently, GMC aquired a box car load of Yugo radios, and decided to outfit the topkick's with them. Cheap, garbage (and a few other names which I won't mention) come to mind. I spent 45K on a chassis and am really pi$$ed at the quality of the radio I got. The dealer keeps replacing them - not thier fault. Has anyone else had problems? Down the line I'm going to replace this "radio" with an aftermarket unit and use the stock unit as a wheel chock - but for now, it would be nice to have a usable radio.....
Just wondering if I had all the bad luck???
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 2004 C-4500. It has a great radio system with CD player in it. No problems.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My stock radio/cd worked without a problem, now I replaced it with a Pioneer CD/DVD/NAV. Hope your problem gets resolved, I may place my stock radio on e-bay.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have actually been pretty impressed with my stock stereo. I have the AM/FM single CD player. It sounds decent and has never been any trouble. I am surprised anything electronic that wasn't designed by NASA survives in this rattle trap.

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,490 Posts
I have actually been pretty impressed with my stock stereo. I have the AM/FM single CD player. It sounds decent and has never been any trouble. I am surprised anything electronic that wasn't designed by NASA survives in this rattle trap.
Thats funny and true.....mine worked fine and replace with kenwood dvd/nav

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mine came with an Eclipse Nav/DVD/CD/FM/AM from Monore with the upfit, I've replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-D3, great unit. I might still have my Eclipse AVN30D for sale if my buddy doesn't want it, give you a great price on it.

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
Greetings,
I have a 5500 4X4 diesel. It is a great truck! Probably the best I've ever owned. HOWEVER, I am having problems with the stock radio. I have had the truck for 14 months and am going in for the 4th radio - problems vary, but still needing replacement. Apparently, GMC aquired a box car load of Yugo radios, and decided to outfit the topkick's with them. Cheap, garbage (and a few other names which I won't mention) come to mind. I spent 45K on a chassis and am really pi$$ed at the quality of the radio I got. The dealer keeps replacing them - not thier fault. Has anyone else had problems? Down the line I'm going to replace this "radio" with an aftermarket unit and use the stock unit as a wheel chock - but for now, it would be nice to have a usable radio.....
Just wondering if I had all the bad luck???
Thanks,
Jim
Tell us what keeps happening. Inquiring minds wanna know. Especially since I've only failed on GM radio in 14 years. And I used to own car stereo shop and I think I've diagnosed everything. But I'm sure yours will different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts