Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this will probably get me scolded but I got to ask. Is it ok to grease my truck with marine grade grease? I think it is of a higher quality than most automotive grease. If I go ahead do you think GM might give me a problem if something was to come up failing under warranty?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The avereage dealer wouldnt be able to tell it was marine grade. I dont know if it has the same properies as automotive style grease. If your looking for something that wont wash away, check this stuff out.

schaeffer 197

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dmaxalliTech said:
The avereage dealer wouldnt be able to tell it was marine grade. I dont know if it has the same properies as automotive style grease. If your looking for something that wont wash away, check this stuff out.

The grease I have is blue it defenetly looks nothing like what is in our trucks from the factory. Do you still stand by your opinion?

Well I managed to get to 10 of them. As I understand it there are 11. I found the last one but couldn't reach it without removing the plastic skid-plate. Thanks for your opinion. (Sure did take a lott of grease.) Edited by: Cruz_Man

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The grease we buy in bulk here is blue in color and its from Mobil. The Schaeffers is a gray. Some are tan, some are black... Yeah, I will stay with my first thought.

Eric

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cruz_Man,

I've always kept two grease guns: one with the blue marine stuff for the boat trailer axles and the other for the black moly-disulfide stuff. Don't know what the difference between them is. One problem I've always had with either one is that if you let the grease guns lay around, oil separates from the grease, leaks out of the gun, making a big mess. For that reason, I store mine in a plastic trash can.

I'd seen Eric's recommendation for the Shaeffer's some time ago and bought a couple of tubes. I cleaned the oil out of the bottom of the trash can and haven't noticed the Shaeffer's separating yet. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My biggest issue is still to this day getting to the two lower control arm grease fittings. Either those springs are super strong or the end of my grease gun doesn't fit well in that groove.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Let me ask a stupid question while you guys are talking about greasing. I have a 93 chevy (as well as my new 03) & grease it every 2500 miles with the oil changes. I grease the fittings until I see new grease coming out around the boots and then wipe off the excess as best I can. The method works well as 185,000 miles and minimul front end problems testify. Can I get the same results without the mess? How? I'm coming up on my first oil change on the new truck.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Rmax,just a coulple squirts in each, you dont want to make the boots leak as they just make a mess. I usually hit each one with two shots.

Eric

·
Registered
132 Posts
Eric

Thanks, Guess I've been over greasing for years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually, to much can be almost as bad as to little. If you put enough grease in to make it come out, you have opened up the seal and this could allow dirt to enter. Also to much grease, espically in axles can cause the bearing to over heat, since there is no where for the heat to disperse. If you are greasing every 2500 miles one pump on a good grease gun will be adequate. Since GM recommends every 7500 miles I have changed to 5000 miles. But of course that is dependent on the driving conditions and weather.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just greased the 11 zerks on the front end of my 03 and found that with 2 guns one with straight end and one with 90 degree end and both with 18 inch hose there was no problem reaching all the zerks. I did not have to replace any zerks with new 90 degree fittings. I used Mobil 1 Syn. grease and it was red in color(just to add to the color discussion).

90 degree end for grease gun can be found at any auto parts store for about $1.75 and well worth the money as i could not have reached all the fitings without it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi-
<H3 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">The 11 fittings 2500 HD Silverado Trucks</H3>
2 - Upper ball joints
2 - Lower ball joints
2 - Outer tie rod ends
2 - Inner tie rod ends
2 - Idler arm (One on top and one on the ball joint)
1 - Pittman arm

It is easy to miss one of the two on the idler arm assembly.

Recommend greasing at every oil change.
Get one of those one-foot hose extensions for your grease gun. It makes greasing MUCH easier. Some of the fittings are almost impossible to reach.

See zip file of pictures where the lube points are:

4FF_lube.zip

·
Registered
326 Posts
Victory Red said:
My biggest issue is still to this day getting to the two lower control arm grease fittings. Either those springs are super strong or the end of my grease gun doesn't fit well in that groove.
Turning the wheel full lock makes this easier. Turn all the way to the left, and the right one is easier to get at. Turning full right gets you to the left one. Works for me anyway...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts