Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight i waited for the glow plugs to cycle, then i started the truck, but as soon as it started the GP light went on again for a second. what gives?? could it be a sign of something going wrong in the glow plug system?? or just nothign..?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
They are supposed to do that. Sometimes when it is below 10 degrees mine will cycle five or six times with the engine running.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o wow, that has never happened to me before. i am in geargia right now and that strange that it will cycle again here rather than when i was home in CT several weeks ago...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine does that too. I usually wait for it to cycle 2-3 times before I crank the engine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Alas, but his isnt supposed to do that. His is a military version, and they work different.

wylie, not sure why its doing it, but keep an eye on it. could be a sign of controller failure...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
they cycle with he engine running

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya hasn't happened again yet, but ive only run it twice since..

mike, what is different about the military system...controller, etc??

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its a totally different controller. The system is designed to run off 24v with a drop down resistor. the resistor lets the voltage start out high, and lowers it as the plugs warm up. The controller monitors that voltage and uses that to tell the plugs when to turn off and back on. The temp switch only tells the controller when to actually run the cycle.

At least this is how I understand it....

BTW, your 12v conversion could be causing strange things because of this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts