Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it showed up via UPS today. Of course at lunch I went out, did the stock upload/65hp download. Went for a spin. Tranny was shifting weird, almost like the defueling feeling without the defueling sound. Hopefully this will go away in time.

As for the SOMP feeling, all I can is wow. Around the 1800 or so rpm range it just pulls. Throttle is way more responsive. Don't have gauges installed as of yet(hopefully OCT 10th by courtesy of Eric), so I can't report on boost/egt yet.

Of course it's raining now, so I won't be playing, but the 20 mins or so of play time I had, i've got to say, there is a lot of untapped power in these motors.

I may have to hit the DHRA races at Union Grove WI on the 4th.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
glad you are happy i have a pred that i need to send back for updating.i have always been pleased with the pred,early on i did a lot of stacking with the pred and van aakens .always got ghood performance...keep us posted...jess

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well had a cold but otherwise nice day. Went on a run to the Jefferson swap meet. Didn't really hammer on it, you can feel the extra power just through RPM range.

Anyhow, I don't quite know how to say this, but I'm thinking I don't like the Predator/power.

Sure there may some occasional times when I need it, but for the most part I probably won't.

Why don't I like it?
<UL>
<LI>strange shift feel. around 1600-1700 the boost just accelerates, quick shift, accelerates hard again.</LI>
<LI>engine seems a little louder than before??</LI>
<LI>with cruise on, hill climb it gasses it, get's going too fast, then backs off, better put it seems to feather the fuel too much.</LI>[/list]

Since I've never ridden in, nor tried any other box, not sure if they'd all be/feel the same or not.

I DO like the r/t diagnostics. Very little smoke on floored pedal from stop(1 quick puff on 65hp setting).

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
The Stealth is twice as loud as the Predator. So I know you wouldn't like it. If you read my review of the two boxes you would see that I covered the touchy peddle. That is one area that the Stealth shines. It feels much like stock, but has tons more power. But as Jess said, let the transmission adapt to the box, it will get better.

On a side note; If you do not like the box, you had better send it back before your 15 days is up, or you will be stuck with it. That box is worthless to any other truck but the one you programmed. It is forever married to that truck.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hdmax,

I've read almost as much about the boxes as I have the secondary filters.
Anyhow, I'll probably keep it one way or the other just for the diagnostics and tire size changer.

I do like the extra power feel, but hopefully like king d said after a few hundred miles my truck will 'adapt'. Time will tell. I'm not disappointed in the least, just not sure if the power is for me.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The colder it gets, the louder the rattle will get. Just loaf around in T/H for a while and you'll get a taste.

The Predator has some nice features, but I've yet to find ANYTHING that's as well rounded as the Juice...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold? Here in Wisconsin? Next thing you'll tell me that it'll probably snow and the Packers are headed to the Superbowl.

Yeah, I considered all the boxes out there, but price/features made the Predator the 'best buy' for me.

Maybe once you get your dyno up and running I'll have to come out and play with you for a day John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts