Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say Nick, Its super impressive when seen in person. Looks sturdy, well fabbed, and I know Cat's quality as the best.

Two questions though, the black bracket, Does the shorter one or longer one go to a shortbed?( I assume top of bracket with bolt holes?) Havent even looked at the directions to tell yet. That and will a Cat 1R-0751 fuel filter work as well?

Thanks for a great kit, A service to all of us

Tony you got a PM

Bill

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Did you do the GB with HisDmax? I hope so, Im looking forward to mine...

·
Registered
600 Posts
We're running another GB now, and it isn't too late to sign up. Check the GB section.

I have a question: There are 2 different kits? One for short box and one for long box? Just want to make sure I understand all the details before this GB closes.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to insult anyone (I.E.;Nick), but how does the Nicktane kit compare with the Racor kit that Greg is coming up with?

I really like the looks and simplicity, plus availabilty of filters of the Nicktane kit.

However, I'm concerned about the lack of a water trap or water indicator versus the Racor which has one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Bill,

short for shortbed, long for longbed.. don't know what an 0751 filter is, but the 0749 and 0750 will fit...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I received my GB Nicktane kit today too. Thanks to Nick for the setup and HisDmax for putting together the GB.
I will be installing it in a couple of weeks and intend to replace and cut open my oem filter at the same time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
VincentH said:
Not to insult anyone (I.E.;Nick), but how does the Nicktane kit compare with the Racor kit that Greg is coming up with?

I really like the looks and simplicity, plus availabilty of filters of the Nicktane kit.

However, I'm concerned about the lack of a water trap or water indicator versus the Racor which has one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I wouldn't touch that racor kit, just because I don't like the idea of making something irreversible - you have to cut the steel fuel line running up the chassis.

Never seen one, but Nick's kit doesn't require cutting, and is reversible.

Kennedy's Mega Filter is also reversible.

Depends on what you are into. For me, I use baldwin everything, so it was a no brainer - Mega filter. Mega has a drain - Nick's does not. A must on a fuel filter, in my book, even if you never get water out - you can if you have too.

Kennedy's mounts under the air box, Nick's in the rear. Lots of info. Do a topic search of fuel filter. Plenty to read and confuse you.

Ty Edited by: tysmith

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Got mine yesterday, the kit looks great. One question Nick, there's a plate on the filter head with 2 bolts going through it is loose, any torque specs to tighten them to? Didn't see anything on that in the instructions, but might have missed it.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I got mine too!

Any thoughts about taking off the bed to make the install super easy?

Would that be too hard?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
bed would not be hard unless you are by yourself. it is not heavy and only held down with 6 bolts if I remember correctly. whether you drop the exhaust and bend the heat shield or remove the bed, install isnto all that bad

marc

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Ya, I havent gotten under there to look at that yet. I just might do it without removing the bed if it looks good...

Thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
I installed mine last weekend and my first thought was the bed idea would be more trouble than I orginally expected. Someone mentioned the tail light connects and I noticed there is also the fuel cap/opening attached to the bed. I'd bet there are several other issues, such as the spare tire, that will make it more work than expected.

I reluctantly removed the exhaust system and, in hindsight, it was the biggest time saver for a first time installer. It only take 15 minutes to remove (remove 4 bolts and slide off four or so rubber hangers and 10 minutes to re-attach myself), but the tank access it gives is worth it. I also backed out the two fuel tank strap bolts a few inches, leaving the bolts still in the threads, just to gain a confidence building visual to the top of the fuel tank. After you do a couple of Nicktane installs I'm sure there is also no need for the visual/tank drop.

Here's where I lost time. Make sure the Cat head has the bleeder bolt tightened as well as the bolts in the head's small access plate. I had to locate a few never ending vacuum leak (bubbles as I pumped the OEM filter) and that was my last thought to look. Oops!Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
srode,

you do need to tighten the block-off plate down, as well as the bleeder bolt (See Ray's post above). just make them snug..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nick

I got mine this week as well. Very nice set up!! That is one serioius bracket. And THAT is a filter. I'll be sleeping better at night soon. Thanks again Nick.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nick & Mike,

I got my Group Buy Nicktane filter kit this week also, very well made. I will be installing it as time permits (busy plowing & salting now).

Nick,

One quick question -- Does the spiral wrap replace the split insulation for the fuel line? The instructions show a split cover to prevent rub through on contact points.

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Joe,

the sprial wrap replaces those "taco" covers as the taco's weren't long enough and tend to move around. the spiral wrap stays put much better.

Nick

·
Registered
145 Posts
HisDMAX said:
Nick

I got mine this week as well. Very nice set up!! That is one serioius bracket. And THAT is a filter. I'll be sleeping better at night soon. Thanks again Nick.

Mike

Nick, Mike is absolutely correct!! This is a great looking setup. Now I can't wait for my new truck to arrive so I can install it. I plan on doing this as soon as I pickup my truck, and will document the miles when it's installed. TPW 02/09/04.

Thanks again Mike for setting up this GB. It's people like you who help make this a great site.

Fran

·
Registered
238 Posts
WTF is a GB kit? This needs to move to the Nicaktane Filter Forum.

JessEdited by: jesshd

·
Registered
600 Posts
GB is "group buy". Not another brand of filter

Look at the group buy section if you are interested in a nicktane group buy.

Jim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nick:

I got my filter this week also. You can see you did your homework. What a great kit. Thanks for the GB.

Mike:

Thanks again for organizing the GB.

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts