Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I've been doing some car transport on the side and I gpt me a good deal on a 2 car trailer http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/catalog.php?ID=7a92298446c0583a965e111e74bdb5e95bb654e4570c634971f6dc2698c99ef6

I have an 04 2500hd CC what do you guys recomend me using as a hitch receiver or weight distrubtion. Right now I have all the stock stuff on the truck and I moved a 67 Olds convertable yesterday and the truck pulled it well. Also is there any other upgrades I should do to the truck as well. I do not drive the truck hard i'm not the type to put the peddle to the metal..

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
First scrap the factory hitch and go with a Putnam. Run a good weight distribution kit and roll on.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
get the reese tow beast Class V. its rated for 14000lbs with 1700 tounge weight. with a weight distribution kit. the weight kit you want is the Husky. the huskys better because it can have two sway bars, and its overall a really good design

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with haulin-rv on this one.....no offence duramax3500 but the man has racked up 200k miles already on his 06'...i gotta believe he has plenty of experience to back up his recomendation...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The reese is a good hitch, but you can get the same rating out of the Putnam for half the price. As far as weight dist, I have ran reese bars (have 750 and 1000 pound bars, never use the 1000) that I got for free out traded in campers, a reese hitch head that was laying around, and a hitch bar I bought used (looked new for $25). Point is weight dist is just that and big $ doesn't have to be spent. Also I like the square bars better than the round.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to be going with the putnam class V XDR receiver. Can anyone help me out with part numbers on what weight Distribution hitch I may need. I am on hitchesonline.com site and I would like to order everything at once.

thanks again

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Good luck, personally, id advise a gooseneck esp for doing it cmmercially everdya but good luck.

·
Registered
814 Posts
bspz28;1600185; said:
Ok guys I've been doing some car transport on the side and I gpt me a good deal on a 2 car trailer http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/catalog.php?ID=7a92298446c0583a965e111e74bdb5e95bb654e4570c634971f6dc2698c99ef6

I run several Kaufman trailers myself, and have had good luck with them all. One minor issue arose, and they had the closest dealer fix it immediately for me. Kudos to the folks at Kaufman Trailers!

On a 2500, running a 2 car Kaufman with regular 2 5/16" hitch, I would recommend using a weight dist. hitch. My 2 car that I used at the time with my 2500 SRW was a gooseneck, so it didn't matter.

I currently have a 2 car Kaufman with the 2 5/16" that we pull behind the pickup (3500 DRW) and the rollback tow truck. We do not use any WD Bars, but the 3500 and 5500 can take it. On a 2500 (w/o goose) I would recommend the bars, and likely an upgraded trailer hitch. I have pulled some crazy weights on my stock hitches with no trouble though. (I have had upwards of 14,000+ on my stock hitch, on a semi-regular basis)

The thing you need to really concern yourself with is the drawbar and ball. The stock hitch can take it, but you gotta watch the drawbar you select. (WD setup will be more than adequate)

If you run a regular drawbar make sure it is a 1 piece unit, not the common 2 piece that is welded together. (2 piece welded shown below)The 2 piece units are usually only rated at 6,000, some are 8,000 or maybe 10k. A 1 piece unit is heavy as h*ll, and is usually rated much higher. I forget what mine is rated at, but I got it at Tractor Supply for like $45 + the ball. Forget the cheapo type that you see at Lowes, or Wal-Mart, Etc..

^^NOT GOOD FOR HAULING CARS^^

^^BEST PIC I COULD FIND FOR A FORGED 1-piece DESIGN^^

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i have a solid hidden hitch reciver thats solid. the rating is 14,000lbs, thats what you need

1 - 9 of 9 Posts