Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all for the tips and experiences on installing Nick's filter kit. Working alone, this dummy had mine completed in 3 hrs with no surprises encountered. Dropped the driveshaft and fuel cooler for access, my beer belly got in the way but all went well. Just got back from a 75 mi test drive, and nothing fell off. Thank you Nick for a well engineered top quality kit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
COOL - It took me roughly 4hours, taking breaks
and pictures... I didn't have to drop the exhaust
(I have a Banks) or the driveshaft. BUT, I did
drop the tank AND disconnect the fuel cooler
for easy access to the front fuel line connection....
Here's some Pictures of my installation...

Thanks Nick!

T.Edited by: Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Terry thanks for the pictures!! They are very helpful for those of us who have not yet installed ours. A bunch of us will be installing soon

Mike

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Is a "Diesel Bath" inevitable when we take on this project?

Thanks trying to get prepaired for my install.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like timing an empty, light weight fuel load is an important step to the Nicktane fuel filter install.

·
Registered
220 Posts
NoWake200 said:
Is a "Diesel Bath" inevitable when we take on this project?

Thanks trying to get prepaired for my install.
Not really a "bath", more like a sprinkle. :)

There'll be some residual fuel in the line that will
drain out when you disconnect it from the
front hardline point near the cooler....

hth,

T.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had half a tank when I did mine, and left the tank in place. Opened the fuel cap (to relieve pressure ???) and only lost about half a cup of fuel when disconnecting the (first) hose at the fuel cooler. Did not get wet at all.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i have made the mistake of having my waist under the cooler a couple times... all i can say is i'm glad its diesel not gas

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i dropped my banks exhaust to do the install. after disconnecting the connection at the tank, I tied a baggy to the end with a zip tie expecting a "bath". diesel did not come out of the line until I disconnected at the fuel cooler, even then it was only a few ounces. did not lose a drop as the baggy caught everything, this worked real well.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
that "diaper method" sounds like a good idea.. i still can't believe i've washed those pants so many times and they still smell like diesel.. now their dedicated to truck work

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thanks for info guys!! That "diaper method" also works good when you change the oil on a inboard boat motor. Put the bag around the oil filter and let it drop in....it works most of the time

Can not wait to get my Nicktane Fitler so I can dirty and say the 'F' word a few times in a sentence.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I did mine, my "F" words were more like Fantastic, Fun and then Finally. It's not that bad, reading everyones hints and experiences will give you an idea of what to expect. Best of all, I am sure that it will be worth it in the long run.

B

·
0 Posts
Well I finished my Nicktane install today(been snowing the last couple of weeks, got mount done a couple weeks ago during a break in the weather) Mounted the filter head and ran the lines today.

I filled the filter with fuel and didn't have to touch the pump. Only trouble I had was getting the Quick disconect fitting on top of the tank OFF. What a Pain. I did lower the tank to get better access, all else stayed.

Very glad its done and much more relaxed about getting fuel at a station other than my regular.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Finally!! My Nicktane is in!!!

Instructions and all the experience from this forum really helped. Thanks.

A couple differences in my install; first I cut the tank line about 4 inches from the disconnect by the cooler. Removed the disconnect. Connected to the hard line per Nick's instructions, but spliced in to the soft line just cut. 1/2 inch ID on that line, so a 1/2 by 1/2 inch barbed brass splice worked fine. Clamps all around. Also, I did have to drop the cooler to get access to the disconnect, but that is easy with a couple bolts removed. On an 04, there is a bracket that keeps you from bending the shield out, at least easily. All else went as planned.

Filled the filter (plugged the outlet so that fuel only was introduced to the dirty side of the filter). Truck never even stuttered, no pumping.

I did install front flaps, and after a day in the snow and mud, the filter housing area is spottless.

Bring on the fuel from anywhere, no worries now. thanks Nick.
Edited by: ChevyPackin'Heat

·
Registered
363 Posts
ChevyPackin'Heat said:
Finally!! My Nicktane is in!!!

A couple differences in my install; first I cut the tank line about 4 inches from the disconnect by the cooler. Removed the disconnect. Connected to the hard line per Nick's instructions, but spliced in to the soft line just cut. 1/2 inch ID on that line, so a 1/2 by 1/2 inch barbed brass splice worked fine. Clamps all around.

Bring on the fuel from anywhere, no worries now. thanks Nick.

After fighting with the QD behind the fuel cooler for an hour, I gave up and cut the line. Just could not get that one off. The fuel tank QD took about 5 minutes to get. All total with the running around to get the extra parts, just over 3 hours for the install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts