Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i went down to CT today to see if i could finally get my truck out of my brother's yard. thanks to the help of all of you who gave me advice i got it running and the way it drives you wouldn't think it sat a day of it's life!:D my brother plugged in the block warmer 2 hours before we got there so it was pretty warm. we hooked it up to thee jumper cables for like an hour and tried to turn it over a few times but nothing worked (even ether that we lit on fire to help warm the engine. i guess thats an old trick). finally we decided to see if the fuel rail was even getting fuel (DURR:rolleyes:). of course it wasnt so i'm glad i forgot to bring back the fuel pump i bought a while back because after 2 hours of fighting with the push rod and gasket:eek: we managed to install the brand new manual fuel pump! after we changed the fuel pump we bled the air out using the turning over method you guys suggested (thank you again btw) it fired right up!! and boy does that baby purr!!! i aired up the tires, threw it in 4L and backed right out of the icy snow bank that was surrounding it without even slipping! but it still needs a little bit more work. so i was hoping you all could help me with something again (because that is what you all are good at)... while driving home i noticed my battery gauge going down, and down.... and down. i drove half way from CT to Cape Cod without headlights in the dark! i even passed a state trooper after i had turned my headlight switch off to conserve battery power and he didnt even pull out of his speed trap:p:. i tightened the alternator as far as it would go and the belt still wiggles a bit. i know both batteries are junk and i should probably get new ones but i'm thinking of first trying a new alternator belt and new battery clamps first. i'm going to take the alternator off tomorrow morning and get it tested at auto zone. but here's the weird thing... if i parked at a rest stop, left it idling, and turned my headlights off my battery gauge would start going up like it was charging, but then it would go down again once i started driving. What could be the problem? oh and one more thing... my brother lives in Bethel CT, which is on the border to NY and i live in Harwich MA a little over 200 miles away, and when i pulled into my driveway i had 3/4 of a tank left!!!! and i never turned it off (because my batteries were dead and there was no way i was going to get it started again without a jump) except to get gas before i left CT and i stopped at McDonald's. i'm so happy i finally got a diesel! my 8 cylinder K5 gets better gas mileage than my 4 cylinder Camry! hahaha though my Camry does have 300657 miles on it haha!!

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
just keep in mind that you 4 cylinder camry's gas tank is like a tenth the size of the K5's diesel tank....they get good mileage(18-24MPG) but the camry should still be getting 19-26..but the camry's engine can barely pull itself let alone a load so HAH:p...good going and have fun

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, great to hear you got it home. When I first started playing with mine I learned fast don't mess with junk batteries these things are hell on batteries especially in the cold. Get the alternator tested like you said and spend the money and buy the heaviest and best batteries you can afford. If you plan on running it this winter you will thank yourself later.

·
Registered
671 Posts
it sound's like you have a bad pulley on the alternator.

when sitting at idle the bats are getting charge because the belt isn't slipping. as the RPM's go up the belt starts to slip on the pulley.

i'm willing to bet when you get the alt tested it will check out ok. i bet the belt is glazed too.

just a guess, but i had the same problem a few months back.

P.S. i'm getting 20-25mpg in my K5 :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, great to hear you got it home. When I first started playing with mine I learned fast don't mess with junk batteries these things are hell on batteries especially in the cold. Get the alternator tested like you said and spend the money and buy the heaviest and best batteries you can afford. If you plan on running it this winter you will thank yourself later.
(i'm going to apologize beforehand for the long post but i'm so happy i got her running)

so i woke up this morning really early and couldn't fall back to sleep because all i could think of was going outside and pulling the alternator. i got dressed and ran outside. i popped the hood and examined it for a bit before i busted out the wrenches... i had previously adjusted the alternator as far as it would go to get tension on the belt. as i examined it i noticed that the teeth on the belt were on the outside meaning the belt was installed inside out (whoever worked on the truck before i owned it obviously was no mechanic, you should've seen what they did to the starter). the belt was worn to the shape of the pulley. so i took off the belt and alternator and headed to auto zone. i handed the man at the counter the alternator and he tested it and said it was fine. as he was handing me the alternator a gentleman standing behind me that overheard this said "well you just tested my alternator and said it was fine and my car is stuck in the parking lot with a dead battery!:mad:". ...so i bought a new alternator and belt haha. went home and put them in. tried to jump it but it wouldn't start so i took my old starter back for the core refund and put that money towards a brand new battery. i knew that one of my batteries was good so i took out the junk one and put that in its place and put the new battery on the passenger side to power the starter. once i hooked up all the cables i turned the key it fired right up! so now it stays at 14 amps and is running fine. i even went off-roading at the local trail about an hour ago with my buddy in his f-150 (he's a chevy guy but was forced to buy a ford because he needed a vehicle right away and it was available). i didnt push it hard cuz its still not really legally on the road but i'm enjoying driving it anyway:cool:. he had to keep his truck in 4 low the whole way and i never even had to touch my 4wd! there was one puddle that i thought i might have had to but it made it out like a champ! we were at the top of this pit wall we were climbing and we saw headlights coming from the trail behind us. Environmental Police like to patrol the trails every now and then cuz its conservation lands so we all ran into our trucks and got out of there real fast. he followed me just in case it was the police so i could get out of there if he got pulled over (not really a good idea anyway cuz he had been drinking). we got back to his house with no trouble (the truck didnt follow us so i'm guessing it wasnt the authorities). the only problem i'm having with the truck right now is that the tranny shifts a bit late. i also picked up a tranny filter and some fluid so hopefully a tranny flush will fix that. next thing i'm doing after that is changing all the cables to 00 gauge. i still cant believe how great it's running considering how long it sat before i bough it!

·
Registered
671 Posts
put in a quart of lucas when you refill. i just flushed my tranny, replaced the filter and added a quart of lucas. made all the dif.

can't wait to get the manual in though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts