Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i had a family member recetnly chose to close his auto repair shop and he gave me a 9,000 lb 4 post lift for free. thing has a 18'x10' foot print. and lifts 6'. i have a 22'x30' shop w/ a 16' door on one side but only a 8.5' clearance inside. if i set up this lift infront of my door i can modafy only 1 rafter to clear car's as they go up and down. but..... i wont be able to pull any other cars into the shop other than parking under a car on the lift. im at a loss, should i remove my 16' door and put in 2 single car size doors and rework part of the shop so i can have a way to park cars in the other part of the space. i own a lot of small cars, vw's and such. so i can rightnow pack about 6 cars into this shop. id like to be able to get 4-5 of them in there w/ the lift in place.im about 100% baffled. i had a neighbor tell me that i should poor a new slab next to the shop and put the lift under a car port. that seems easy but not cheap and i end up out side. being that i live in CO and its not so hot here most the year this wouldnt make life too much fun. i dont realy have any cash to toss at redoing my house/shop but.... i think a bit of pain now will be more than worth it to have a lift down the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Give it to me:joke: . You can get a wheel kit for most 4 post lifts. This will let you move it when you need to.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had a framing buddy over lastnight and he worked ot a plan to give me basicly half my shop worth the vaulted ceiling space so i will have about 18' of clearance (in the center 12' at the ends of the lift). im waiting for a call back w/ a quote for parts/labor to do the work. if all is in my budget ill have teh lift installed this weekend and get them working next week to open up some head room!....... boy i hope this owrks out im about due to pull my t-case on my d-max so i can go thru it and do preventive "hole" work ahha. corse i will have to air down my tires just to get the truck thru the door.......ug..... i need to move to some land and build a real "truck" shop......

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got it instaleld this weekend and picked up fluid for it today. i hope to get it up and runing soon. now i need to find a bucket of money so i can aford the work on the rafter mod!..... to get my d-max onto the lift i ahve to let 90% the air out of my tires inorder to fit thru my garage door and onto the lift. ... boy i wish i could build a new shop thats realy "truck" friendly. ..... ill get some pic's of all the madness soon! at least now i can realy power wash the underside of my cars w/ out laying on the ground.... and lucky for me my swamp cooler is in line w/ the lift!..... come summer ill have a cool palce to hang out aha.....

thanks!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
:nopics:

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
carsluTT;1593156; said:
i got it instaleld this weekend and picked up fluid for it today. i hope to get it up and runing soon. now i need to find a bucket of money so i can aford the work on the rafter mod!..... to get my d-max onto the lift i ahve to let 90% the air out of my tires inorder to fit thru my garage door and onto the lift. ... boy i wish i could build a new shop thats realy "truck" friendly. ..... ill get some pic's of all the madness soon! at least now i can realy power wash the underside of my cars w/ out laying on the ground.... and lucky for me my swamp cooler is in line w/ the lift!..... come summer ill have a cool palce to hang out aha.....

thanks!
Can you raise the door? If the clearance problem is at the door opening, you're screwed, but if it's further back, maybe you can raise the door track.

At any rate, I'm envious as hell. I've wanted a lift for, oh, about 40 years. :(

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here it is......

big parts on my trailer

small parts in my truck

my shop was 100% full as it was only 10deg out side and i didnt want to move anything i didnt have to out side but u get the idea

slightly better shot

an idea of how much room iv got to work w/ for now...

furthest i was willing to go ou tside to give a idea of how it looks...... not too bad... just wish it wasnt soo dang cold

and down

its hard to tell but my shop is roughly 30'x45' w/ a 8'7" ceiling.

the paln is come spring (and spare cash) to convert the ceiling above the lift into a vaulted style ceiling so i cna go up a good 14' and have max lift! for now im more than happy w/ what i have. its 1,000,000 times better than using jack stands!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i have a clone to it its a 11ton drive on lift. hopefully i pour concrete in my storage building for it in the next couple months.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What kind of price are you looking at for doing the vaulted ceiling mod?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ceiling is going to cost about 1200 in parts and 2 case's of beer and 4 stake dinners. i am looking to get an i-beam to install so i can use it to run my chain hoise on above the lift to help make motor swaps and such easyer!.....

i love this thing. i had to do some motor work on a vw last nightand i pu tthe car up hgih enoug i didnt have to bend over other htan when i dropped something!........

def best tool iv bought in years!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts