Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my order from Rock with a new vacuum pump, wastegate solenoid, and MAP. All came in Ac Delco boxes but the parts themselves have no identification at all. It really makes me wonder where they are getting the parts and is it worth paying extra for them still? Seems like the last ones I got from a dealer were similar.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I made note of the same thing with their thermostats. the 195 was made in ? Israel I think? The 190 was made in USA.

There should definitely be some type of identification on the part. I've called delco in the past to confirm some parts were actually their part.

:thumb: haven't had a fake yet.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because they have a brand does not mean they actually manufacture the parts. I'm sure most are from the same Chinese factories as other brands.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is it worth paying extra for the box?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Just because they have a brand does not mean they actually manufacture the parts. I'm sure most are from the same Chinese factories as other brands.
I'm SURE of it. I posted about it before on other parts. Made by Gates, but get an ACDelco name on it. It's not like it was when we were kids. Most "makers" of just about everything are conglomerates. As such, they farm out manufacturing. Here's a similar eye-opener:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_&_Decker

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
AC Delco never has manufactured their own parts. Now our beloved GM puts them out for the cheapest bid. Used to be we thought that at least the GM or AC Delco parts would have the correct calibration. don't know that for sure now. At least their CEO is getting a huge paycheck.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just don't see the point in paying extra for this crap anymore. Just now put my new paid a premium for parts on and the truck won't start. Just had it running 30 mins ago to pull closer to the garage and it was fine. Dang new MAP sensor is apparently shorted internally. Gives me about a dozen error codes if its plugged in not including a MAP code. Looks like it drags down the 5v rail so a bunch of other sensors show as bad.

Just did the online paperwork for Rock. Will see what happens. Looks like I have to take it to post office and wait to see if they give me a refund or not.

·
Registered
227 Posts
AC Delco never has manufactured their own parts.
False, AC Delco USED to make a LOT of their own parts.
There used to be AC Spark plug, division in its self, Delco Remy another GM division, AC oil filters used to be made in Flint MI at a GM plant etc. Over the years it became AC Delco and post GM bankruptcy much has been closed and outsourced mainly out of the USA.

AC-Delco came about in 1974
AC Delco change was 1995, still had parts operations in the US at that point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just don't see the point in paying extra for this crap anymore. Just now put my new paid a premium for parts on and the truck won't start. Just had it running 30 mins ago to pull closer to the garage and it was fine. Dang new MAP sensor is apparently shorted internally. Gives me about a dozen error codes if its plugged in not including a MAP code. Looks like it drags down the 5v rail so a bunch of other sensors show as bad.
You could have a wire problem in the harness possibly.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put the old sensor back on and everything goes back to normal and it starts right up so I blame the new sensor.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I'm kinda half in half with delco... sometimes yes sometimes no.

Fuel filters. When talking about the OEM cartridge housing. Delco for sure. The other aftermarket filters do not have a proper air bleed valve at the top. Dont get me wrong, they work... but just not very well. They're messy, and you can't use a clear hose to see if you infact have air in the filter housing. They just kind of leak fuel everywhere and you hope for the best (talking about the aftermarket filters) but as far as filtering itself is concerned... I'm sure they're all about the same. +~- a micron or two lol.

Lift pumps. I've used a few different brands. Delco, airtex?, a few house brands... from oreillys, autozone and summit... not really any difference between them. I noticed the acdelco is cheapest though. From summit. I have a delco on my 94 and the ? Airtex? On the 85 6.2. Both have worked equally fine. Oddly the delco is the cheapest. At least in my area. EDIT: what I mean is the delco was the cheapest option at summit. Not including rock auto. At the time when I purchased lift pumps rock auto didn't exist or I didn't know about them.

Harmonic balancers. Alot of you know I'm a fluidampr guy. Some dont. Well now ya do if you didn't. I definitely prefer a fluidampr over a delco. Now were you to stick a delco next to ??brand... not sure. Maybe in a pinch I'd go with the dorman. But not for long. Someone (I think dieselpro) pointed out how the delco had some balance holes drilled into the balancer and pulley whereas the off brands didn't. Same went for the crank pulley.

Thermostats. Normally I'd say the off brand is every bit as good. This is a normal situation. I think I have about (20) 195s lying around here. I've tested each one with a laser and boiling water... all pop at 195. Delco for the loss. Same for the 180s... all pop at 180. I've got about 4 of those. .... so when it comes to 180s and 195s... they're all the same thing. One half a dozen the other. As for the 190... well... that was WELL WORTH the 30 bucks I spent for it. MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! So delco for the win on this one. Its design is completely different. has 6 weep holes vs 1. Has a different mechanism on the bottom. Tests well too. Pops at exactly 190. The major difference between the 180s/195s and the 190... just a completely different design all together... NOT THE SAME TSTAT... at all. The 180s and 195s are the same in design, just different pop temps.

... theres more... but I'm bored of typing now. Hope it's a good read. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
WOW JNL, you were on a roll yesterday!!! I enjoy reading your posts brother.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Hey guybb3... thanks. That does mean alot to me. I've come a long way since I first joined up that's for sure!

But really. I appreciate that ^^^

I'm in a semi truck for the next 3 weeks. Otr. So time is something I have plenty of at the moment. But overall I'm having a good time. Spending some time with my father. Helping him drive. Familiar. I grew up around diesels, rigs and heavy equipment. So I'll admit the break from home is nice. Hopefully we wont be staying at any distribution centers tho. Like last night at dollar general dc.

Anyway. Cheers everyone!

Maybe I should make a post on my mini trip/work vacation?... post pics and where I'm at and such. Currently in the not so prosperous town of prosperity, sc. Headed to orangeburg, sc... which likely has no oranges nor is orange lol... and then were headed to warren, Ohio. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Maybe I could meet some of you guys if you like? Just depends on where I'm going and what type of timeframes were working with.

Later everyone. Gonna jet!

I'll check back in a while. His turn to drive. My turn to sleep.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,725 Posts
I bought two Delphi FP905 Lift Pump a long time ago when I bought the truck.
In it, there is Airtex EP158 pump.

I am not sure if Airtex supply a better pump to Delphi/ACDelco or is it the same pump that is selling as Airtex brand.

It is good, I have just replaced with second one after 10 years of use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
. and then were headed to warren, Ohio. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Maybe I could meet some of you guys if you like? Just depends on where I'm going and what type of timeframes were working with.
Few years too late!
Used to live around there before moving to TN.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Hey tndan... i'm in cornersville, tn. Just north of elkton. Few years too late but two or three days too early!

Dually just told me I can make such a post in the off topic section. I'll be doing that here today. I have tons of pics to post. Sights.

I'm not opposed to meeting my dieselplace friends!

I'll be doing this type of trip again next year when I get my c60 up on the road. Gonna be fun pulling loads next to full size line haulers with a vintage restored c60! ):h:RockOn:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
95 Posts
AC Delco never has manufactured their own parts.
False, AC Delco USED to make a LOT of their own parts.
There used to be AC Spark plug, division in its self, Delco Remy another GM division, AC oil filters used to be made in Flint MI at a GM plant etc. Over the years it became AC Delco and post GM bankruptcy much has been closed and outsourced mainly out of the USA.

AC-Delco came about in 1974
AC Delco change was 1995, still had parts operations in the US at that point.
True: AC Delco which is a subsidiary of GM made all or most of there parts for their engines they infact built their engines until sometime in the 2000s. I believe they sold off their Delco Remy and other GM holdings. Such is business

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the credit for the dud sensor. Now have to decide which brand to buy this time.

Having a similar dilemma with the distributor on one of my Caddys. Complete new turn key assembly for $80 or strip down rebuilt units for $150-$250 plus core. If I knew the rebuilds were high quality I would go that way no problem but my fear is they are all the same crap so I might as well get the complete one for a lot less money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts