Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5th wheel rails in my truck from previous owner and I have been borrowing a plate that fits on the rails to tow my goose neck trailer. Couple days ago I got offered a resse 15k 5th wheel hitch that has side to side wobble also for a really good deal and bought it. More of bought it so I can tow anything. Then I was flipping thru a trailer supply magazine I seen they make a pole to remove my goose neck coupler of my trailer and install a king pin style so I could tow trailer with my new fifth wheel hitch. Is there a benefit of towing a goose neck or fifth wheel. My trailer I would change to kingpin is 36' two car car trailer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's what I plan on doing with my super glide 16k. I think it'll be a little more stable, smoother and less susceptible to wind gusts.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Not a significant enough difference from gooseneck to fifth wheel as far as towing/turning/stopping. Converting from one to the other is costly and potentially dangerous if not done correctly. You could always go with a B&W turnover and the B&W companion to tow "anything."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Typically speaking, goosenecks are built to handle jobs that might require more articulation of the trailer and have a lower center of gravity. A side dump hay trailer is a great example. Fifth wheels do not allow the same amount of articulation of the trailer as the center of gravity is typically higher on fifth wheels. Can you imagine a big fifth wheel camper that is allowed to lean over as far as a goose neck would allow? It wouldn't be pretty. If your car trailer sees generally flat/improved surfaces then you shouldn't have any problems with the adapter to hook it to a fifth wheel hitch. Just be careful of where you do tow it, and remember that the fifth wheel will bind up at less angle than the gooseneck will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts