Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into traveling and plan on getting another 5th wheel travel trailer, probably around 31-35' in length. My prior set up was with the standard rails in the P/U bed and a heavy 5th. wheel hitch. I was looking at going with a Gooseneck hitch by Curt or B&W, and then a light weight Anderson 5th. wheel hitch that mounts to the gooseneck ball. I see that all the car haulers and horse trailers tow with a gooseneck style. Does the gooseneck give a better ride vs. a standard 5th wheel setup? Anybody's thoughts?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Goosenecks are better for Offroad as they will articulate, a fifth wheel hitch will not.

I prefer a gooseneck because they are easier to maintain, cheaper, and less parts and equipment to deal with.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Try the best of both worlds. PullRite SuperLite hitch that hooks to rails or will lock onto gooseneck ball. I went from a very heavy automatic sliding 5th wheel hitch to one of the. Lighter, easy to hook up, couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the replies. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Goosenecks are better for Offroad as they will articulate, a fifth wheel hitch will not.

I prefer a gooseneck because they are easier to maintain, cheaper, and less parts and equipment to deal with.

Lots of fifth wheel hitches will move 4 way.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Lots of fifth wheel hitches will move 4 way.
Yes, of course they will move side to side some. I guess saying a fifth wheel won’t articulate wasn’t exactly correct, they will move side to side, but they don’t have the amount of travel side to side that a gooseneck has. I regularly have my trailer twisted pretty good, more than what a fifth wheel would allow, so for me a gooseneck is a better option.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
The frame work of a fifthwheel is not really suited to the leverage forces exerted by a goose neck hitch.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I've decided on the Anderson Hitch. Glad you posted you have one.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ordered from Etrailer.com, a Curt Gooseneck Hitch. I spent the better part of a full day putting it in. I did it from my garage and without a hoist. I took my time and used the Curt installation video as my guide. Between the video and directions, it was a success. To anybody wanting to take on this project, be patient, don't rush, and make sure to eat your Wheaties, because those 3 main steel components are heavy to hoist and bolt together. On a side note, I elected to loosen the rearward fuel tank strap, which dropped the tank a little bit. This allowed more room for fishing the (1) bolt and retaining bracket that goes inside the frame, and which mounts the outside frame bracket on the driver's side. Pretty happy how it all turned out.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts