Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, This may sound like a stupid question but my truck doesn't have a gooseneck hitch yet. I have been looking for one and it seems that there are a lot of choices. I would like to have one similar to the b&w (with the removable ball) that mounts under the bed. any suggestions as to which one is best?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the B&W turnover ball. I like it because you can turn it over and you have a regular truck bed. I don't like the folding ball, it doesn't seem that strong to me IMO and even when its folded down there is still a lip from the plate sticking up. You can also buy the 5th wheel adapter to go into the B&W hitch if you ever decide to buy a 5th wheel trailer. BTW there not very hard to install yourself, that will save you some money.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thanks for the info. i'll find a b&w then. does it make any difference on them if my truck is a short bed?

·
Registered
327 Posts
no... in the instructions for install they will be a listin' for both an short box....you can also buy a offset sleeve to replace the hitch on your trailer to gain yourself a bit of space between truck an trailer. I think you can also buy it through B&W. but if your only pullin' a flat bed you should be alright

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great thanks for the info guys. really appreciate it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just installed my B&W gooseneck & 5th wheel Companion about 3 weeks ago. It was much easier than the install in my 00' F350 (old truck). Took me & my 15yr old son about 3 hours & that included lunch.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've got a 28' flat bed gooseneck and haven't had any problems with the standard hitch and making sharp turns. However if you are going to be pulling a camper or horse trailer or something with a full width neck you might want to consider the offset adapter Rodeo Joe mentioned. Or just be real careful when making sharp turns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:exactly:
DnHolland;1582415; said:
I have the B&W turnover ball. I like it because you can turn it over and you have a regular truck bed. I don't like the folding ball, it doesn't seem that strong to me IMO and even when its folded down there is still a lip from the plate sticking up. You can also buy the 5th wheel adapter to go into the B&W hitch if you ever decide to buy a 5th wheel trailer. BTW there not very hard to install yourself, that will save you some money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hey i think i probably know you 05 serria hd i have a 2003 with a flip over ball if you want to see it pm me i live in paris too

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
ya i don't think you could go wrong with the B&W hitch i love mine

·
Registered
73 Posts
Check out my hitch. The pictures are in my garage.
Tim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hitch Installed

I picked up the B&W turnover ball and just got done putting it in (with some much appreciated help from a friend). Installed in about 3 hours, probably could have been faster but cold and snowy here. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
that is good this hitch is the best i think you will love it the first time you need it and all you have to do is pull the pin and turnover the ball and go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts