Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone that uses or has used could you help me out.. i bought my truck used and it came with one on already.. i would like to buy a trailer for my show trucks and i thought that a goose neck would be nice.. i never used on so i dont know if im missing anything.. there only seams to be a small pin that sticks out the side of the housing and then a spacer.. i attacted pics of the pieces that are under the truck already.. just seams to me like there should be something else to hold the ball in the bed..

the last picture im pointing to the only pin that i see to hold the ball in.. am i missing anything or is there somehting under the truck that locks it in??

thanks for your help

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks like a homemade job. Most of the popular ones are all bolt in. that looks welded in prior to bed coating. Usually there is a hitch pin that slides in from the side after you drop the ball in. access is from the left rear wheel well, where a slider is pushed in/out. I would be very suspicious of a home made fifth wheel setup. especially for a '04 pick up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a huge crossmember under neith the truck.. i never looked for a leaver in the wheel well though.. when it stops raining here ill go look.. it has the ball for it.. its not a 5th wheel.. i just didnt picture that.. the block that is in the first three pictures comes out and flips over and the ball is ontop of that!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did crawl up under it.. it has a huge cross member under neith it but there is no leaver to lock it.. on the base of the ball there is a hole in the center that goes into the pin i am pointing to in the picture.. and on the oppisite side there is a hole offset from center of the block.. im guessing there is another pin to go into there??? i will take pictures of this later on and post them hopefully someone can help me figure this out

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first picture is of the crossmember that is mounted under the truck from the passenger side wheel well..

next is a picture of the hitch ball with the hole in the middle on the one side

next is the hitch again with the other hole that is drilled in it which is off set from center

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it kinda looks like that one .. mine doesnt have any type of locking pins though.. there is no other holes in the housing where that one pin is

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Did you check inside the left rear wheel well (Driver's side)?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have seen that before but I can't remember what brand it is. I think the ball goes in slides toward the driver side then the other piece wedges in there which keeps that peg in the hole in the ball. (if that makes sense) I don't know what the offset hole in the ball is for. It is basically a way to have a turnover ball without any rods or fancy releases. If I figure out who made it I'll let you know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have seen that before but I can't remember what brand it is. I think the ball goes in slides toward the driver side then the other piece wedges in there which keeps that peg in the hole in the ball. (if that makes sense) I don't know what the offset hole in the ball is for. It is basically a way to have a turnover ball without any rods or fancy releases. If I figure out who made it I'll let you know.
Sounds good to me. But, is that ONLY three bolts holding the crossmember to the frame rail? If so, that WILL NOT distribute the weight correctly thoughout your frame. The bolts holding your stock bumper hitch are bigger than those, and they are spread out longer over the frame, thus distributing the weight! May be the pics don't show everything.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm thinking the offset hole might be for you to stick your finger in to pull it out of the hole when the ball is down. Sure would like to see the pin all the way through like on my Drawtite Goose. But I guess most of the weight is pushing down anyway and that hitch might work out just fine if it is beefy underneath.
Ted

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i talked to the guy at b&w custom truck beds and he tells me the brand is a "Drop N Lock hitch" did anyone over hear of that.. i cant seam to find any information about it on the web... its not raining out now so im going to go crawl under neith it to get a better look at it.... more pictures too

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking the offset hole might be for you to stick your finger in to pull it out of the hole when the ball is down. Sure would like to see the pin all the way through like on my Drawtite Goose. But I guess most of the weight is pushing down anyway and that hitch might work out just fine if it is beefy underneath.
Ted
i think your right about that with the pulling it out with your finger.. cause thats what i do every time i take it out !!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts