Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 2005 2500HD with a Unigoose hitch and no place to hook a set of safety chains. The only thing that sticks throught he bed is the ball that drops down into the hitch.

Anyone have a source or suggestion on how to add some safety chain anchors to my set up?

I have used the hitch twice for about a 10 mile tow, and took it slow and easy. If in the future I borrow that trailer again I want to be able to do it right and safe.

Thanks in advance

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Now they use that plate, the current hitch ball has a groove machined in it for the spring pins to retain the plate.

My hitch ball, circa 2005 does not have that groove, so I can not utilize the plate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Back to this question again, as I am buying the trailer I used to borrow from my brother in law.

Still in the same pickle. Uni-goose offered to sell me a new ball with the plate, for way too much $$.

Although that may be the best option, I'm resistant since I had to buy the hitch ball aftermarket already due to my used truck not having it included, but the hitch already installed.

Gone but not forgotten member
Simplest way is to make a cut in the bed where you can attach a shackle to the frame. Other option is a different ball with "new" plate.
Basically, you are screwed because the government decided to change rules and not grandfather trucks with GN hitches and no safety chain connection. I have pulled trailers that didn't even have safety or breakaway chains.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that was kinda my thought.

Would a couple forged eye-bolts, in the 10000lb rating range work if fastened to the hitch frame below the bed? This would allow me to drill a couple simple holes in the bed and just have the eyes stick through, I know kinda of a pain but better than large holes in the bed. IMHO

Yeah that was kinda my thought.

Would a couple forged eye-bolts, in the 10000lb rating range work if fastened to the hitch frame below the bed? This would allow me to drill a couple simple holes in the bed and just have the eyes stick through, I know kinda of a pain but better than large holes in the bed. IMHO
Yes. Make sure to use lock washers, tack welding after install works too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Another thought would be a set of D-rings with a backer plate that is fastened &/or welded to hitch frame.

These would be able to lay down and not be something to swear at everytime I don't have the trailer attached.

Thinking something like : McMaster-Carr
item number 3076T61

Another thought would be a set of D-rings with a backer plate that is fastened &/or welded to hitch frame.

These would be able to lay down and not be something to swear at everytime I don't have the trailer attached.

Thinking something like : McMaster-Carr
item number 3076T61
That is what I have on the dually cuz the Prev owner put a POS gooseneck hitch in, and cut a humongous square hole in bed!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Those tie downs came today.....VERY nicely made

Look forward to getting things fabed up /sturdier so they can be installed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Figured out I am going to use some 1-1/4" x 0.25" DOM tubing to make some stand off's / spacers for between my bed and hitch frame.

With grade8 hardware the weakest link will literally be the safety chains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts