Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck used and the goose neck ball was installed in the bed when I bought it. Long story made short, I never tried to remove the ball till the other day. I pulled the lever in the wheel well and tried to pull the ball up and it didnt move. I even went under the truck to make sure the pin was releasing and even tried tapping the bottom of the ball with a hammer with no luck. After a few mins and a closer look through the hole in the bed a found that the ball had 2 small welds to the plate under the bed. Why would someone do this? I went to a trailer place and the acted like it was a pretty common thing on trucks that tow a lot. Im really considering on cutting out the hitch and getting a new one.

·
Registered
992 Posts
id just take it to a welding shop and get the welds gouged off it. Its not really a big deal to do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can cut it off myself, but Im just wondering why it was welded in the first place. I have never heard of welding the ball in.

·
Native Texan
292 Posts
Leads me to believe that the previous owner pulled a lot a heavy weight, and perhaps was no comfortable with the quick release system, and may have never used the release so decided to weld it in, for safety reasons. Perhaps the ball had a little slop in it. Eithr way, knock off the welds and get on with your rat killing. Hardly worth the worry, just a preference I would say. Like the trailer place said it's a pretty common thing on trucks that tow a lot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure of the brand.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yeah alot of guys weld them to prevent rattleing. I wouldnt bother me cause i dont tow much. Id guess it would get on the nerves of a daily tower.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
that is what i was thinking that is was done to keep someone from taking it if you think of it even if you have a lock on the trailer you could just pull the pin for the ball and raise the trailer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts