Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lull in the shop today, so pulled the flatbed off the HD. Going for a "semi truck" style rear with a goose neck and bumper receiver hitch.

The frame cuts are not in the final location. The flatbed was welded on in the rear of the truck, and that was an opening I could get at easily. Sides were bolted.

This is my winter project along with getting a couple lathes and mills up and running.

Thanks,

CB1

Attachments

Reactions: Tr00b

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
I would start by giving that frame a good cleaning and treat it with some POR15 and maybe some lanolin oil to protect your investment from those salty Wisconsin winters

:thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's the plan. After I get it trimmed to size. Not sure if I will pull the tanks, but, I might considering I am almost there anyway. LOL,

CB1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some measuring today. Top of my frame is 31". From what I find on the innerweb, the standard height for a goose-neck is 39" to the base of the ball, about 8 inches shy.

The neck on my trailer is adjustable and 8 inches is a little more than I want to go, so I will be building a ladder style support frame out of 2x6" boxed.

That will give me enough room for fuel fill hose routing etc.

I did help a buddy mount a new CT flatbed on his '95 F350, and while pricey, there was not a whole lot there regards support for the ball mount. I'm sure its well engineered, and it did look great. I'm sure mine will be overkill, LOL.

Anyway, more to come.

CB1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trimmed the frame rails

Found a nice place to finish cut..

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a steel blade for a skill saw

Didn't know how well it would work, but after watching some vids about them, I thought I would give it a try. Works pretty good. Lot better edge than a torch.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Install and spot welded for now..

Decided to add the hitch plate before I get the frame sand blasted, that way I can get it blasted where I need to weld for better clean steel, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"On the level". I would edit if I could...

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
"On the level". I would edit if I could...
I corrected the title for you.
You should be able to edit posts now. If you are using a mobile device try changing your screen settings over to "Desktop View" to be able to see the forum correctly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I corrected the title for you.
You should be able to edit posts now. If you are using a mobile device try changing your screen settings over to "Desktop View" to be able to see the forum correctly.

thanks,,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More work done

Got the old fuel tanks out and wiring out of the way for sand blasting. I see there is a local guy that does mobile blasting, will have to see if he can help me.

Pics of course,

CB1

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No pictures today, but I did take it to the sandblaster today. Should be blasted tomorrow an then I will get it back into the shop for some frame paint.

More to come,

CB1

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Are you building a gooseneck bed or just a plate and mudflaps like the hotshot trucks? Wish I could be building a dumptruck myself...

Great looking work!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you building a gooseneck bed or just a plate and mudflaps like the hotshot trucks? Wish I could be building a dumptruck myself...

Great looking work!
It will have a plate between the rails about 48 inches wide. I have a brand new take off 50 gallon fuel tank with mount from a Western Star truck that will go on top of that opposite a tool box. And mudflaps i already have, ordered new last year.

Blaster hasn't called me yet. Rained yesterday, so probably a delay in that department.

CB1

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Are you making the plate or buying an aftermarket?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Are you making the plate or buying an aftermarket?
Probably buying the 48 inch wide plate from Curt or similar. Then bolt that on the sub-frame I am building, following their directions for liability reasons, whether that matters or not, just what I am doing.

Thanks,

CB1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts