Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking here since the towing section doesn't seem to be a high visibility area...

Looking at moving from a bumper tow toy hauler to a 5ver/gooseneck. I'm actually looking a buying an enclosed trailer and building my own toy hauler.

My questions are, never owning a 5ver or goose, which would be better? Any pros/cons to 5th wheel or Gooseneck.

I really like the B&W setup good/bad?

How much clearance do you like between your bed rails and your trailer?

And the last one is backing up goosenecks/5ver vs. bumper. Better? Worse? I got a small spot to put it and my bumper one is ok but I wonder if it will be doable with the new one? Also for camp sites and all?

thanks

cmcEdited by: CMC-GMC

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
cmc,

I'm glad you posted some of those questions about hitches since I'm trying to decide which way to go. Right now I'm thinking about the hidden gooseneck type with the fiver adaptor for when needed, but I don't have any real answers except for the last one.

My buddy had a 36ft. fifth wheel that carried the NHRA Camaro around the country for about 12 years, so my turns at driving gave me this perspective in and around the pits and motel parking areas; The thing will fit in a lot of places, in some cases a shorter manuvering area than a bumper pull, BUT, it takes some getting used to how it moves. They start turning slower while backing up, but once they start, they move faster if that makes any sense to you, that's the only way I can think of to describe it. Going down the road, there's no comparison IMHO, much more stable.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i don't think you will have much choice when it comes to toy haulers, i have never seen a gooseneck toy hauler only fifths. as for which is better. both have their on good points. fifth wheels are easier to hook and unhook. goosenecks can pull more weight. by more weight i mean gooseneck is good for 30,000 and the big fifths are good for around 24,000 to 25,000 though i have also never seen a toy hauler that came close to either of those weights. but you can't go wrong with b&w they are one of the best hitch producers. and with a b&w you can have both. if you have around 1500.00 to buy them.

p.s. i have a pull rite 20,500 fifth

john

02 3500 cc lb 4x4 lt

38' prowler quad slides 14100lb's loaded

·
Registered
138 Posts
Be careful converting FW to Goose Neck. Some FW frontends simply can't stand the "different" stresses put on them by the conversion to Goose Neck. Some folks over on RV.NET have posted that they did major damage to their FW front-end frames.

Best to check with the frame maker of the FW (Don't ask/trust the salesperson).

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wanted to do the gooseneck conversion for my 5th wheel but the dealer strongly suggested that it wasn't a good idea. I went with an underbed mount so when I take out the hitch I have an empty bed. (no cross bars) I've been very happy with the set up.

8" or so bed clearance is good. You still want to keep an eye on it if you tip down or up over a steep bank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm most likely shooting for a custom (short) toy hauler. If I can't find one then I might just buy an enclosed goose neck and make my own. I'm limited in space to park it so the shorter the better. I have a Carson FL16 right now and going bigger with bumper tows might require back yard fence mods. Besides the short ones allow me to fit in more campsites then the big boats.

I'd really love a 16'-18' box with sleeping quarters over the truck bed area (should make for a 24'-25' over all length). Also trying to keep the height down so the neighbors don't get peeved.

Carson makes custom trailers (my FL16 interior was) and I'll be in touch with them later this week when I get my drawings done.

thanks for the tips and I've been reading about the conversion on the hitch. Seems to be a real bad thing. Hense why I'd prefer the dealer to make it a goose in the first place.

cmc

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
gwmayes said:
Be careful converting FW to Goose Neck. Some FW frontends simply can't stand the "different" stresses put on them by the conversion to Goose Neck. Some folks over on RV.NET have posted that they did major damage to their FW front-end frames.

Best to check with the frame maker of the FW (Don't ask/trust the salesperson).

That's good to know since the salesperson I was talking to about a 34ft fiver toybox told me it could be converted to gooseneck...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Something else to consider, check with your licensing agency about tagging a 5th wheel or gooseneck. I was able to get permanent tags for my 5th wheel because of the 2 inch pin. They won't freely offer up this advice.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The dealers installed the Colbert adapters on my last two trailers. One was a Coachman and the present is a Wildcat. I installed the B&W Turnover Ball in both trucks. They are under $400 and the Colbert are around the same. When I was looking at Wildwoods the salesman told me it was not built to handle the stress of a goose neck. Some are and some aren't. If you are building your own, no problem. Later! Frank

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the B&W with the companion 5th wheel... Works GREAT!... Leaves the bed empty when not in use............Triffid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ditto on the B&W. I love mine so far.

$1500 is way too much to pay for the B&W setup. Get it on eBay from commerical-equipment. ~$900 for both the gooseneck hitch and the 5th wheel companion including shipping.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bigRazor,

can you post a link or PM me with it. I'm not ebay savy and not finding B&W's anywhere.

thanks

cmc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's a link to his store.

http://stores.ebay.com/id=66207925

He doesn't have any hitches listed right now. He usually has a number of hitches for sale but as they get sold, they get removed until he adds more. Try sending him a message (there's a link on the page).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks bigRazor....

cmc

·
Registered
83 Posts
CMC
I have the B&W and a Ranchhand adapter pulling 33' fifth whl. I've had the B&W on two trucks . I got the last one a couple of years ago from Big Tex Trailers on I10 on the North side. Get a cost on the internet and then see if they will deal. Worked for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks aztjc,

Big Tex has been good to a few friends I might call on them when I get around to one.

cmc

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What have you guys been paying to get the B&W installed?

I've talked to a couple of places about it and I'm getting labor prices in the $220.00 range.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are looking for a small goose neck toy hauler, take a look at the horse trailer people. They are now making some trailers that are toy haulers. They seem to be a bit high in price, but from what I have seen, of very good chaftmanship and products. You can also get them made from all alum.

The inclosed trailer people like United, Pace and such have custom options that can place you into a toy hauler. They, IMHO should hold up better if you are puttin a lot of miles on the road with one.

With the goose adapters on your 5ers, most manafactures will not cover any damage caused by the goose adapter.

Take a look at my www to see what you can do with a car hauler given the time. This is a United Racers Specal 24' tag with inclosed beaver tail. Took me three years!Edited by: cmadmaxman

·
Registered
275 Posts
Zeeb that seems on par with ehat I had to pay for my install at a place that does alot of install's and stands behind their work. well worth it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts