Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to my service mgr and he says he has no problem with the added fuel system that I want to install, he said he got a bulletin that they think the rust that is causing the checks to start leaking in the injectors is from moisture getting in from the top nut on the fuel line to the injector, I dont see how but I didnt argue the point because he was being so nice about the fuel system, have you herd this, also do you know of a type of fuel guage that goes from vac to press, this way I can monitor what the system is doing while driving, will have a 3 guage pod on the post, got your e mail and glad I made the rite choice, thanks for all the help.

Geno

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The rust in the injectors when removing the lines is very common. Moisture gets into the fitting and when you start backing off the lines, it all falls on the top of the injector making it look like its very contaminated, when in fact, its not. I havent seen a tsb on it, but am well aware of it.

As far as the gauge goes, I dont know of anything that you will want inside the cab, as it will contain fuel. I think Kennedy is working on a gauge setup that will hook to the factory test port near the alt. You can also get the Kent Moore version but its a hefty price at around 150.00. If you were feeling creative, you could tap into the small hose that feeds the test port with a tee and hook it to an inexpensive fuel/vac gauge that is avail at any auto parts store. Just besure to keep it under the hood for safty sakes.

Its good to hear that your service manager is being coperative.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Eric,

I would have thought the lines to the injectors would have been stainless steel. When removing the lines have you ever found rust inside the lines? Also, wouldn't it be nice to have a 2 micron filter right before the injector? They do make them for the pressure but I have not researched it any further. What type of fitting goes into the injector? Most high pressure fittings I've seen have a cone at the end with a sleeve threaded on which the nut pushes against.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Dave, the lines are not stainless. Would make sense though. I have never found rust inside the lines but have found it where the rust would pit the end of the line where it seals to the injector bad enought that it leaked. The line end is coned and fits into a tapered seat on the injector, like you said. A filter before the injector after the pump has too much variable. First, you have to find one that will hold up to 24,000 psi, then you have to be able to compensate each injector for a restricted filter...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Eric,

I have seen filters up to 45,000 psi (mainly used on waterjet cutters). I could see that having a blocked filter in one injector would cause a problem. Say if you were to place a filter on each injector would a scan tool be able to see if one was not getting enough fuel. How much fuel actually flows through the injector while it is running? Does it constantly flow through the injector or does it stop when the injector closes? I was always thinking everbody is concerned about filtering the fuel down to two microns but how much do the two pumps contaminate the fuel? Everything wears out!!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Dave, you bring up some interesting points. I was not aware of those extreme high pressure filters, sounds cool. The pcm would not be able to see how much restriction a filter has persay, only would see that the cyl was not as efficient as the rest of them. Thats how balance rates and pulse width are determined. The amount of fuel through them varies depending on the demand. The fuel doesnt continually flow but is controlled by the nozzle. I am not sure how feasable such a project would be and you can bet GM would get all excited about something like that. I do agree that the pump could contribute contaminents but if you keep the fuel coming into it as clean as possible, the end result is better and life should be extended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts