Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who sells a good IP pump on the internet?? went to NAPA and the only one the could get was a so called genuine GM pump for the tune of 800 bucks,
seems they don't even stock the after market rebuilds anymore which is weird because last year at this same time I bought one from them for my 6.2 on my motor home.

Seems the one on the k5 I'm putting back together is dead, its understandable though the guy I bought the blazer from rebuilt the motor installed it put some ratty looking old IP pump on it, but never finished hooking the rest of the engine components up or running it, then it sat for years,

I'm pretty sure the pump is dead, I've purged all the air out and cranked and cranked and nothing is getting past the pump, I've got power to the pump and you can here the whatevers inside it goody clicking when you pull the wire on and off, and when I crack the last fitting on the secondary filter there is pressure and fuel there.

thanks in advance

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,547 Posts
Your pump is likely not dead unless it has a sheared off pump driveshaft because of a seized rotor assembly.If the shaft is okay,and you can't get fuel to the injectors and the electric shutoff solenoid is okay,etc your two pumping plungers are most likely stuck.I've seen this happen many times.It's very easy to free these up but the pump will need to be disassembled to gain access to them.

Let me know if you need further help.How old is your pump by the way?Many miles on it?

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your pump is likely not dead unless it has a sheared off pump driveshaft because of a seized rotor assembly.If the shaft is okay,and you can't get fuel to the injectors and the electric shutoff solenoid is okay,etc your two pumping plungers are most likely stuck.I've seen this happen many times.It's very easy to free these up but the pump will need to be disassembled to gain access to them.

Let me know if you need further help.How old is your pump by the way?Many miles on it?

If you do decide to try to fix the plungers, take a look at the pictures thread. I just took mine apart and took some pictures along the way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for the info, I have no idea how many miles are on the pump, this rig was half way put back together and then the guy I bought it from gave up on it, its got a rebuilt motor thats never been run and what looks like a very old IP pump on it, so really I would like to put a fresh pump in it and be done with it,

but thanks for the info on those pumping plungers I'll have to remember that tidbit

vx

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you do decide to try to fix the plungers, take a look at the pictures thread. I just took mine apart and took some pictures along the way.
I was just looking at those pictures, so what was the problem with that pump? It looked like it was in good shape, but of course that means nothing..

·
Registered
148 Posts
That was a pump out of some ebayers vehicle. They removed it because they were upgrading components to make their engine a 6.5l diesel. Because it had sat for a long time, the plungers got stuck and that's the reason I took it apart. I'm still having trouble with it.. but that's another story that I already have a thread about.

To the OP:
I still think I would try unsticking the plungers first.. if only so you don't have to deal with timing a new IP. If you are set on getting a new pump, you might want to consider sending it in to a stanadyne repair shop and have them rebuild it for you. Just like the injectors, there are only certain parts that wear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out realdiesel.com when I was looking for one for mine they were good price and warranty

·
Registered
256 Posts
A core charge is usually charged on top of the price of the part and returned when you bring back the core. If you bring the core with you when you buy the replacement, they don't charge the fee.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
In my area a "rebuilt" pump (definition of rebuilt varies from place to place) runs about $400-$450.

Chances of your pump actually being bad are rather slim as noted above, but if you do need to replace it I would look at buying a good used pump. I have had good luck with them. If you do buy a replacement pump I would recommend that you look for a HD pump, although don't pass up a decent light duty pump if it's cheap...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I have been seeing the LD and the Hd pumps and was wondering just what the difference is??? , I plan on doing some towing so I guess a Hd would be the way to go,

also I've kind of narrowed it down where I'm going to get a pump, these guys have been around forever and are close enough for me to drive to.

http://www.o-f-i.com/

·
Registered
148 Posts
LD = light duty = egr in manifold. (c code engine)
HD = heavy duty = non-egr engine setup (j code engine)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I recently bought one from Midwest Fuel Injection mwfi.com .They give you a choice of LD or HD for $380. What's nice though is your IP comes packed in two boxes with a prepaid UPS shipping sticker. All you do is put your old IP in the box, slap on the sticker and have UPS pick it up. If you return it in 30 days they don't charge you the $300 core. I got the pump within four days of ordering it.

I tried buying a used one off eBay first. After shipping it cost me $80. After I got it installed the truck would'nt turn off. I think the governor linkeage inside was frozen or something. So that was $80, lots of bloody knuckles and two days labor wasted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts