Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took quite a trip this past weekend, to Vermont from Detroit. I decided to do a little experiment through Canada with MPG.

Set cruise at 70mph which was basically 2,000rpm. I managed 19.3 mpg, this was with the edge on 2.

On the way home, couldn't stand driving 70 and went to 75, mileage dropped to 16 something....

I barely do highway driving so I was impressed with the 19 number.

My A/T's seem to do way better on mileage than the M/T's did... :thumb:

Unfortunately, I have realized that I can save nearly $20 per tank if I keep my darn foot off it.
At the same time, I also realized it's more fun to play and I'll take the bad mileage for the rush of cruising along!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
pretty consistent with my experience, I get high 18's at 70, mid 17's at 75 if I'm on a freeway. take a two lane with traffic and passing, mileage goes down fast.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You may want to try Edge level 3, low boost fuel 1. Many here (including me) have found that to be the best LLY mileage available with the Edge (When your foot is out of it!). If you can stand to go down to about 60 (I know it's slow!) your mileage will spike upward. Also, realize that you need to check your mileage manully, since special tunes seem to fool the DIC indicated mileage and it often reads higher... ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mileage is really good around 1900rpms, but it is soooo hard to drive 68-70mph. I have a very hard time keeping my foot out of it!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That mileage was hand calculated, was slightly off from what the DIC said.
I had low boost setting on 5, completely forgot about that when I was driving. Maybe I'll experiment with a 60mph run one of these days (when I've got a lot of time and patience).

I'm more of an 80-85 guy myself:ro)

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Last cross country set cruise at 68 mph, carried about 22-2300 lb. MPG was 21. Time between different points was virtually same as traveling at 75 mph. Something always causes a slow down so the extra 6 or 7 mph is lost. Over 70 mph mileage drops rapidly. Keep rpm below 2,000 and she does well for me, over 2,000 rpm she does well for petroleum industry. I'm stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, but if there is a slowdown you've covered more miles in an hour than you would doing 68. Take a 610 mile drive. I usually try to average about 70 MPH including fuel/food stops. My motto to my passengers is "if you have to pee you wait for me". One person pumps fuel while the other will go in to use the bathroom and get food. The driver (me :) ) will then go in for a bathroom break and then back on the road. Not as quick as NASCAR but I can usually be back on the road in 12-15 minutes.

I usually go through about 32 gallons before making a pit stop. Getting 19 MPG for those 32 gallons will equal 608 miles. That would be at 68 MPH and equal 8.94 hours (a few minutes under 9 hours) . Speeding up to 75 MPH cuts the time down to 8.1 hours (8 hours and 6 minutes). Now you would only get 512 miles out of those 32 gallons. Add in 15 minutes to fill up and your looking at 8 hours and 21 minutes. So even filling up you save over a half hour. More time can be saved by splashing in enough fuel to cover the last 100 miles.

I might be getting carried away but I go by this on road trips. I can usually knock 1-2 hours off a long road trip (1200 miles or more). That is the difference between getting in bed at 1am or 3am.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey "ONETALLGMC96" congrats on being truck of the month.
as for fuel ecomony I get doing a 368 mile round trip about 19.7 figued by hand but my DIC showed the same, I put in just 18.2 gals and also my DIC has been only 1/10 of a gallon off on fuel shown that I have used, seems the DIC at least on my truck is damn close. doing short around town trips and letting my truck warm up on enhanced idle I am still getting better fuel mileage then my wifes S-10 Blazer, I get 15 and she gets 14.2 for the same trips and I drive a lot more aggressive then her.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yeah, but if there is a slowdown you've covered more miles in an hour than you would doing 68. Take a 610 mile drive. I usually try to average about 70 MPH including fuel/food stops. My motto to my passengers is "if you have to pee you wait for me". One person pumps fuel while the other will go in to use the bathroom and get food. The driver (me :) ) will then go in for a bathroom break and then back on the road. Not as quick as NASCAR but I can usually be back on the road in 12-15 minutes.

I usually go through about 32 gallons before making a pit stop. Getting 19 MPG for those 32 gallons will equal 608 miles. That would be at 68 MPH and equal 8.94 hours (a few minutes under 9 hours) . Speeding up to 75 MPH cuts the time down to 8.1 hours (8 hours and 6 minutes). Now you would only get 512 miles out of those 32 gallons. Add in 15 minutes to fill up and your looking at 8 hours and 21 minutes. So even filling up you save over a half hour. More time can be saved by splashing in enough fuel to cover the last 100 miles.

I might be getting carried away but I go by this on road trips. I can usually knock 1-2 hours off a long road trip (1200 miles or more). That is the difference between getting in bed at 1am or 3am.
Damn you got it all figured out.

I get about 14mpg so 19 or 20 sounds super for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Edge test..

I'm in the middle of a feul milage test (second fill up) reset dic and hand calc.

before- best was 13.4 mpg (b4 reset) about 8k on OD
Stock - 13.8 mpg
edge on 1 -14.4 mpg 1/4 tank left
edge on 2-??
edge on 3-??
edge on 4-hmmm..maybe
edge on 5-no thanks,need new tranny first!

As u can see in my sig i have the blocker plate on started this test after i put in on...sticking to a pretty strict driving routine and foot control):h I hope it will be helpful to some one i'll update it later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts