Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i'd post looking for ideas here while i'm checking some stuff out.

As per the subject, truck won't start now. Yesterday all was fine until a 600 km road trip. Engine was shut off and wouldn't start on first crank around, cycled the key on/off and she'd fire right up on the first revolution?? Did this to me every start after that but it was warm then.

I have codes P0380 & P1643 no others and these codes come up every start and i attribute them to the glow plug timer, glows work fine and have plenty of time before trying to start.

Oil pressure comes up while cranking, fuel pump runs with key on, fresh winter fuel and conditioner, i have lotsa battery juice as i have a good 400 amp boost charger also since i've run it down some.

I'm heading back out to check the FSD and check the fuel at the T. Just thought i'd post and maybe see some suggestions when i get back here in a bit.

I'm guessing FSD at this point. If the FSO has gone will it throw a code? BRB.:mad:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nope a bad FSD will not set any code that I am aware of. Still only test is to replace with good unit to test cure trial and error method.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
when i had a bad fsd, i got a code, that was almost two years ago and i do not remeber what it was but i got a code.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed FSD, retorqued nuts on new FSD just in case, NADA.

Gonna retorque old FSD nuts and try it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Check the various ECM fuses, then the engine harness connectors

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All fuses check out good.

Put old FSD back in after retorquing the nuts, NADA, all wiring looks intack and no breaks that i can see. Ran 1 gallon through the T by jumping the LP, good fuel, clean fuel. Checked fuel pressure at the T, 6.75 lbs, kicking out the LP and it will drop to about 3-4 PSI and hold there. No leaks under the truck.

Arghhhhhh!!!

Edit: I have lotsa smoke out the tail pipe while cranking!

·
Registered
148 Posts
unplug the CTS in the crossover for *hits and giggles see if it will start..
thats the only way mine will start now... Bad IP

Johnny

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Not reaching combustion temperature - check the glow system, maybe you lost the fusible link(s), or connection

And try the CTS trick

If not, could be in backup mode, takes long time to crank due to no advance in that mode

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, after trouble shooting the entire glow system, checking voltage at controler and at the end of every wire i did what i should not have had to do. The glow plugs in here are the Beru name that were installed on my first 18:1 engine, that went for about 6000 km's and now i've got about 1000 km's on the rebuild.

So i pulled GP #1, dead as a door nail, #3, toast, #5 done like dinner, #7, rolled over and died, that was enough for me, off to the parts store and picked up 8 new GP's. So far i've changed em all except #6 as i'll have to drop the DP and probably pull the turbo to get at it, but it fired up no problem, just stumbling because #6 is dead. Can you believe that? 8 Glow plugs puked pretty much in 1 day, so much for my opinion on Beru glow plugs!!!!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IIRC they're stamped same as 60g's, 10.5 V. All the numbers are posted in the thread with the blown off tip.

"Humor Me"

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
CR
on a high note it started WITHOUT GP's

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope nick, at least not cold, yesterday it started warm a few times though.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Timing...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does timing knock out 8 glows?

According to the scanner my TDCO is -1.32

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You said ur batteries had been drained CR?

Are ur GPs staying on for a LONG time, like hours, and killing them and ur batteries? Is that timer you got OK or is it wired in wrong?

U get my thoughts here?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Timing believe it or not can knock out plugs with ease. IIRC you reported it was loud rattly wasn't it?

Are you back to the stock pump?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Kenedy can you explain how timing kills glowplugs curious as this may be a problem i am having??

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chicago, no my GP aren't staying on for hours, i wore the battery's down trying to start it with dead glows. Timer works fine, just throws codes every cycle and was noted to do that with the first DAS bill.

Yes John i did say it was very loud and rattly. Westers flash and 5068 pump, gear set, hi pops, blah blah blah....

120 Km/hr - Flat road - Boost 9 psi - EGT's 600-700, ambient temps -10C, IAT's 50-60F

The glows still look fairly new?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Timing believe it or not can knock out plugs with ease.
I concure with this from first hand experience. On my 18:1 engine I had the timing set fairly aggressive and after a few months the GP's were toast. They looked bad and sure 'nuff weren't heating properly. That's with the AC 60g's too... I put in a set of the SS brand Wap's a few months ago and can't tell any difference from the 60g's other than I have a fear of them dying prematurely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts