Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

i just got my jimmy back from being serviced...the facility is a BIG gmc maintenance shop where the serive a LOT of different diesel engines...

my tech/mech advised me to use a fuel additive called Howes Lubricator...i know many posters here use fuel additives, but i don't recall seeing this product listed...

it states i has none of the following: solvents, soy additives, alcohol, sulfur or ash...it is a winter/summer additive...just use different amts based on fuel make up...

if anyone uses it and likes it, or has used it and DOESN'T like it, OR has an opinion as to the advisability of using it, please post a reply.

if there are better additives i shud be using, plz let me know that also...

thanks.....

</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Stanadyne shows an independent test on their website performed by Southwest Research Institute that includes this additive; In spite of the name - Howe's lubricator provides very little lubrication improvement on an HFRR test (in this case SAE J2265). Based on this - I wouldn't consider using it in a duramax.

Again, the only additives that I have seen that perform suitably on an accepted HFRR lubricity test are Shell Rotella DFA and Stanadyne Performance Formula (and lubricity formula - same thing as PF less cetane and cold weather components).

There are those on this site who believe that an emulsifying additive is the way to go - this is one that disperses water and sends it through your injectors at a hopefully non-damaging rate. And there are those who believe in a demulsifier - which makes water form into droplets so that they will, hopefully, be captured by the water trap integrated into your fuel filter.

The stanadyne is a pure demulsifier; the rotella DFA actually disperses minute amounts of water and sheds larger amounts of water (so when amount of water in fuel becomes potentially damaging, it tries to aim it at the water trap).

Even though Rotella DFA is listed as a demulsifier, the fact that it disperses small amounts of water (at a molecular level) - should make it acceptable to the emulsifying side of the house. Maybe it's a demulsifier that even George Morrison could love (or at least tolerate!).

By the way, GM and Bosch both say to avoid emulsifying additives... Howe's is a demulsifier.

jeff

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The military uses primrose. It was developed for them. I use it and my last filter change showed no rust and a very clean filter after many miles.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I checked out the Stanadyne site. Nice to see some real testing. Only problem is Howes Lubricator was not tested. It was their Diesel Treat product that was tested. I also did not recognize several of the other additives as those commonly used by P/U owners on this board. The Power Service products were not the common ones either. I could be wrong since I am at work and can't check the stuff in my garage. I too am looking for good additives and any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
693 Posts
BigdaddyG said:
I checked out the Stanadyne site. Nice to see some real testing. Only problem is Howes Lubricator was not tested. It was their Diesel Treat product that was tested. I also did not recognize several of the other additives as those commonly used by P/U owners on this board. The Power Service products were not the common ones either. I could be wrong since I am at work and can't check the stuff in my garage. I too am looking for good additives and any input would be appreciated.

Actually, I thought the same thing you did concerning the Howes "Diesel Treat" and the stanadyne test. - then I looked at howes website to see what products they made and how they differed - the brand name is "Howes Lubricator" and the product name is "Diesel Treat". So, Howes lubricator is tested - but they do make two products. The only one that I have seen around here in truck stops is "diesel treat"...

The other nice thing about the stanadyne test was that it was done by an independent lab - southwest research institute.

jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
160 Posts
Problemchild, stating that the military uses primrose is far from a glowing endorsement. Remember, these are the folks which pay $50 for toilet seats and $150 for pliers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am using what GM recommends. Stanadyne Performance formula. It works very well for me. Easy starts nicer idle, less smoke. It seems like the filter traps more water with it. Iam happy with it and will stay with it.

However there are many users who use other brands and are happy with the brand they are using.

It's a tough choice to make.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

jeff...

ty for the input...that's ONE of the reasons i come to this site...

i've not used the howes, and it wasn't expensive...

where can i get the stanadyne formula?...isn't that what most are recommending i use?

</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would also like to know where to get Stanadyne. It doesn't seem to be available at any of the auto parts stores around here.

·
Registered
140 Posts
2fast2 said:
I would also like to know where to get Stanadyne. It doesn't seem to be available at any of the auto parts stores around here.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>Piedmont Diesel Service</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Dealer Type</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>Service Dealer</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Address</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>1019B Old Charlotte Rd.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>City</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>Albemarle</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>State</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>NC</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Country</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>United States</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Zip Code</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>28001</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Phone</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>704-983-6680</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=125>Fax</TD>
<TD width=20> </TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=175>704-983-5696</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey Thanks! Right down the road. (You can tell I haven't lived here very long. Just moved her last June. I need to get out more.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
For convenience, I order my stanadyne from Oregon Fuel injection - they are only 100 miles from my home so shipping charges are minimal - their price isn't the lowest but I make it up on shipping and ship time; Order it one day, on my doorstep the next; I would recommend them for anyone living in West/Northwest U.S. -> I also got my Racor Fuel Kit (the one made by racor) from them - great service, quick shipment; Also - With Oregon having one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation - I always try to buy local first... Their website url is www.oregonfuelinjection.com

I also ordered a case of Stanadyne lubricity formula from www.usdieselparts.com (oregon fuel injection doesn't stock lubricity formula).

jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">

jeff...

what is lubricity?...is it different than the stanadyne everyone here talks about?...shud i use both?

what does each do ?</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">

·
Registered
394 Posts
The military use of Primrose came about years ago as a result of shipping equipment overseas. The fuel/engines after having been stationary for several weeks would immediately be damaged on startup due to free water settle. The Primrose fuel additive completely eliminated the problem thus the common sense, real solution..
This is one purchase that is beyond the $200 toilet seat and makes sense..
George Morrison

·
Registered
155 Posts
I get my Stanadyne from the local tractor (Case/IH) dealer, cost is $5.03 a bottle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Because of the military's tendancy to find merit depending on which contractor is in whose Congressional District I tend to agree with Jeephauler that their endorsement lends only modest support for Primrose. But, George's endorsement is a wholely different matter. That I take seriously and have been happily using Primrose for the last couple of months. I got my first couple of bottles from Nick, but I'm expecting my first case from George any day now.

TC

·
Registered
184 Posts
How do the Power Services product stand up to Stanadyne? Is it comparable? Does GM ok the use of the Power Services products?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts