Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some opinion on what you all think of this deal. I currently have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD XcabShortbox with the 6.0 engine...
It has 33K on it, so I brought it in last night to get a few things fixed before it's out of warranty. While I was there I talked to my salesman, who also happens to be one of the owners. It's a small dealer. and asked him what he had for used Duramax's. Thinkin' maybe trade up to a crew cab w/Duramax. Well, He happened to have one in stock, and to be honest, exactly what I wanted options and all (same as on my LS ext cab). only kicker is it has 59K on it for miles. I took it for a drive, and everything seems tight on it, looks like holes in the truck bed for a 5th wheel, but no indication that ones been on it. Well he said he do $5000 plus tax to get into the Duramax. I didn't counter offer, but he more or less indicated that it's about as low as he'd go on it.So the only real thing I'm paying for is the Duramx, Allison, and CC. (discount for miles) What do you think?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'd have one of the techs run the VIN for a history, just to giver you a warm fuzzy. I don't know how long you plan on keep the truck but you may want to think about a new one depending on your situation.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think 5k sounds pretty reasonable.

As Dave said I would check out a new one as well. With 0% financing and rebates you might be surprised.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Reality check. I love my DuraMax, Hookem, but I hardly paid $5,000 premium when it was NEW.

This truck is approaching twice the mileage of your 6.0, and everything is out of warranty except the engine. I think the 5-grand difference is out of line.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Around here used duramax's are selling for about 5k more then extended cab gassers. Owning a duramax I am glad to see that. I don't see where this is so far out of line. It might be a bit high but remember the dealer is going to want to make some money on the deal too. You might do better by selling privately and buying privately but there is a lot of extra hassle to that too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Max Power said:
Around here used duramax's are selling for about 5k more then extended cab gassers.

Is that 5K-CDN$ or 5K-USD$ ?

5K-USD$ is the original premium for NEW DMax/Allison. This example has almost double miles, and has likely been used hard (witness holes for 5th-wheel hitch).

I'd keep shopping.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I woudn't say it has been used hard because it has holes for a fifth wheel. Most people buy a diesel to tow.

5000 USD Is 6500 Canadian. That is definately the high end of things but around here there are Diesel Crew cabs selling for $3-5000 USD higher then EXTENDED CAB gassers. I'm not really taking into account the 3/4 ton 6.0L's, just gassers in general. Quite often the gas 6.0L's won't get as high of dollars as a 1/2 ton with 5.3L I guess due to gas prices.

Your experiences may vary. Like I said the dealer needs to make a few bucks too.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
144 Posts
Max Power said:
Most people buy a diesel to tow.

A lot do, but I don't know about most. Many are just grocery-haulers down here, bought 'cuz they're macho. They'll likely never hook up to anything heavier than a walleye boat, and never leave a paved street despite $3,500 4WD option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone, I haven't decided on it yet as I found a few oter trucks to check out. If the miles were around 40k I would jump on it. It is $5K US. I might throw $3K at him and see what he say's. Thanks everyone, you'll be the first to know...

Hookem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts