Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving straight down the road my steering wheel is turned almost to the extent that it looks like I am making a right turn. What causes this?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Do you have aftermarket tires? When you get an alignment the place who does this "should" keep your steering wheel alinged in the process, but many dont. You just need to get it realigned and make sure the steering wheel is set right. If they cant do it then take it to someone who knows what they are doing......its a pretty easy process. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Had that happen on my 1500 once. I was going thru a plowed field while hunting and hit a bump big enough that it clocked my steering wheel about 1/8 turn. A good alignment fixed it.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Tie rods could be bent.
It may need an alignment.
Pitman or Idler arm is worn.
I'd start with these.;)

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
The stock set of General tires on my truck were getting down to the last bit of treadlife and I was constantly turning right to keep the truck headed straight for the last month, or so (and it was getting progressively worse). I should have bought and installed new tires earlier, but I had a couple of jobs that I needed to finish up before I could make the time to change out my six tires. It was basically the tires wearing and causing both an unbalanced and tracking left situation. The new tires I put on today solved my problem. Hopefully, yours isn't so involved that you have to replace suspension components.

·
Registered
987 Posts
my 07 LMM is like that after my lift install...i have yet to get it aligned but should be sometime soon...so a good alignment will put the wheel back straight???

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
my 07 LMM is like that after my lift install...i have yet to get it aligned but should be sometime soon...so a good alignment will put the wheel back straight???
...absolutely. Any change in suspension height really requires an alignment due to the angle changes in all of the geometries. Hopefully, that will set things back to tracking straight. Let us know if that works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
im pretty sure its the tow that affects the position of the wheel after lifting it and you can straighten the wheel by adjusting the tow but that will throw it off a little or a round about way you can do it but it will be more envolved is to undo the steering shaft from the gear box and then straighten it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
This should be done when you get an alignement and they should make sure that your steering wheel is aligned properly. Most places will take it back in a fix it for you.

Have you ever got an alignment or not? This might tell you if you have an alignement issue, tie rod bent or other other as 66flh. My experience with worn out pittman/idler arm have been more of a shake more or less than a pull but it still could be the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts