Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to go about removing the 96 mph speed limiter ...
I want to go the safest and cheapest route possible.
thanks in advance for any info!:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you'll have to buy some sort of power programer, and make sure it has the speed limited raise feature.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the edge..call me dumb but what is the difference between that and a power programer...also how much would it cost me??
any recommendations?
sorry for all the Q's

·
Registered
262 Posts
You need a hand held programmer. Predator is what I have. Most cost about $300+ but you can find used ones.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Edge just fakes out your factory computer to do it's magic...a handheld programmer actually re-writes the program on the computer; and can change your top speed limiter (max usually 120mph), read codes, adjust speedo for tire size change, etc....

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Edge just fakes out your factory computer to do it's magic...a handheld programmer actually re-writes the program on the computer; and can change your top speed limiter (max usually 120mph), read codes, adjust speedo for tire size change, etc....
:exactly:

The 120mph max is about where you run out of RPM, stock tires might be somewhere around 115-117mph.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
The hand held tuners do NOT remove the speed limiter...they raise it to 177 km/hr which equals about 118...

Ive picked apart PPE and Predator tunes and they are all set to shut fuel down at 177 km/hr. If you want to go faster, you'll need to:

A) raise the RPM limiter. Mine is set at 3,800
B) use EFILive to write a custom tune that allows fuel above 177 km/hr.

Please do this with EXTREME caution tho. The tires are NOT rated for this kind of speed and do remember you are in a 7,000 pound truck.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
A tuner willl get you to about 110mph with the LLY. EFI Live or a custom tune will get you beyond this point.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not to hijack but is EfiLive for sale yet or is it still the people who they chose to test it from a couple months back?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Yes EFILive is for sale. Both LLY and LB7 trucks are supported.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys....I'm not too serious about speed(yet) but 96mph:( did that back in high school in my parents 78 caprice!!:lol: ...is there a poll on which hand-helds are the best? looking for the most options at a decent price.

owning a diesel.i now can understand what a crack addict goes through!!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
The hand held tuners do NOT remove the speed limiter...they raise it to 177 km/hr which equals about 118...

Ive picked apart PPE and Predator tunes and they are all set to shut fuel down at 177 km/hr. If you want to go faster, you'll need to:

A) raise the RPM limiter. Mine is set at 3,800
B) use EFILive to write a custom tune that allows fuel above 177 km/hr.

Please do this with EXTREME caution tho. The tires are NOT rated for this kind of speed and do remember you are in a 7,000 pound truck.
Wrong section, I know, but Ben, what tables are you changing to raise your speed limiter? I changed all that I could find that dealt with rpm and fueling at higher RPMs, and I can't get it to spin any faster...

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Wrong section, I know, but Ben, what tables are you changing to raise your speed limiter? I changed all that I could find that dealt with rpm and fueling at higher RPMs, and I can't get it to spin any faster...
B0747-Max fuel quantity vs. speed, set the "120mph" table to 120mm3:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts