Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 chevy silverado 5.3 (gas) started knocking 2 months after I bought it nov 00 (GM's infamous cold start knock). I complained to the dealer and they said it was normal. I said yea a knocking in the engine is fine no problem NOT.

So gm rep gives me 100k warranty for my constant complaing over the next 6 months. I said why are you giving me a 2500 dollar warranty for a NO PROBLEM issue?

So I keep complaing for the next 2 years. In the meantime my tranny starts slipping. They finally put new pistons in my truck. It sounds great for 3 months then starts knocking again.

I finally sell it and eat a boat load of lost dollars.

I buy a new truck with the D/A figuring GM didnt build the tranny or engine. I figure I can put a 1/2 million on this diesel engine and tranny combo. Maybe even recover some of the lost $$$ on the last fiasco.

Now all I read about is injector fail this and fuel fail that. Injectors cost 6000 dollars and who can afford that after eating a 10,000 dollar sell/buy.

Im so worried that I just bought another headache that will cost me 40K in loss.

What do you guys think? Did I totally **** up by buying this duramax?
Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
No, you totally *** up by worrying about it. The piston noise on the gassers is normal, its not worth putting new pistons in and I have NEVER seen a failure related to it, the extended warr they gave you is only on the pistons and GM does it to keep people happy, they have never had to use it in our area. It was only quiet for 3 months, thats why GM dont fix them, its not gonna do any good. Irratating, yes, problem, no. Its the design of the engine. Ford and Dudge have it to from what I understand. Short skirt piston with low tension rings.....blah blah . You have to remember that people with trouble are drawn to the forums. Its not as big of problem over all as it seems. Drive the truck, maintain it like its your baby and dont worry about itEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
490 Posts
Agree with Eric. I have owned numerous GM pickup trucks, starting with a 1973 Chevy C20 350 4 speed manual. I have had extremely good luck with GM products over the years. Knock on wood, I have only had 2 warranty claims, a blown head gasket on a 1990 305 gasser, and rear spring bushings on a 2000 1 ton. Relax, I am.

·
Registered
91 Posts
WOW

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
I also second what Eric said.I buy about 3-400 of these GM trucks every year and there is no issues with them.Infact the fords Triton family of engines sound the same.

As far as the Injectors on the D/A,less than 0.0001% have injector issues.By the way , how is your new truck running?

Tom L.

·
Registered
909 Posts
First off I have to say I have no experience with GM's gasser trucks. But I recall a few years back seeing pictures of fairly serious low mileage cylinder wear somehow related to engine knocking. I don't know if it was a rarity, but it didn't look to healthy.

And I agree with everyone else on the D/A, we are a bunch of anal, perfectionistic fanatics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You will find some problems with any make/model, and they will show up on these forums. This is where people go when things go bad.

I have personal contact with many D/A owners at work who have nothing but good things to say about thier rigs. I make it a point to ask someone new that I meet if they have had any trouble. So far I have heard of only one mechanical failure (loss of prime-stock).

I am in a position to see CAT engines and CTD pickups break down quite often which provides me with some perspective. Last week we had a 2000 CTD with 43k miles grind to a halt because of failed crankshaft. We have others with poor power, electrical problems, hard starts, ect. and many of them leak, some quite badly. Lately it seems like the CATs in the big rigs have been nothing but trouble. In some cases we have done complete overhauls on them in less than two years of moderate service.

This doesn't mean that I am going to discredit these two companies who make products that are in some ways very solid. In fact I have encouraged the company to keep buying CAT equipped rigs. And I won't fault anyone for choosing a new CTD Dodge. It does mean that I am not going to be frightened by some peoples bad experiences that I read on this forum. I have seen the grass on the other side of the fence and decided that mine is green enough. --SS

·
Registered
772 Posts
Problemchild,
Sit down, put your head between your knees and breathe slowly. Everything is fine. There is nothing made by man that is perfect, as the relatively few who end up with the short end of the stick can loudly attest. But, the vast majority of D'max owners don't experience the failures you fear. It would be a weird world if those without problems ran around crying "Oh, my God! my injectors work! What am I going to do now?!" So we hear from those with problems when they're venting or seeking help and advice.

Eric is in the best position to know whereof he speaks from the inside and Broker is the reigning mileage king of users, even after Hoot worked him over in a past life. Talk to Nick about a premo fuel filter system and enjoy a nice, long ride.

TC

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Oh....
and now that you've read this forum...
you're JINXED!

Relax and enjoy your truck. Most owners are not having those problems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Piston slap is why I sold my C1500 and bought a K2500HD. Hell if have to listen to something that sounds like diesel when cold, I might as well own a diesel.

OK, that might not be the only reason...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Problemchild,

I just traded my '01 2500 for an '04 3500. I had no problems with my '01. I did go for the 1 piece drive shaft and various computer upgrades as available.
There are always some trucks with problems and there is an injector issue with some DMAXs. The truck has 100,000 miles warranty on them. If you're worried about it sell it then. Get you moneys worth now. Many will drive their trucks with no major problems whatsoever. It is still the greatest ride out there if you pull, haul or tow anything.

If you are truly worried about the injectors consider a second 2 micron fuel filter. (read the many posts on that issue). I am going to install a Vormax filter because I have become convinced that the fuel in the U.S. is dirty and high pressure fuel systems don't handle that well. The fuel will get cleaned up as more vehicles use these injections systems but a couple of hundred bucks will give me peace of mind on that issue while the clock ticks.

Do what tsckey said and then go for a ride. Notice the funny way the corners of your mouth behave? Enjoy.

Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
Broker, where did you get your statistic that fewer than 0.0001% of Duramax engines are having fuel injector problems? I'd like to believe that's true, but I question the validity of the statement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am new to this type of forum and only got in because I just bought a 2004 d/a 2500 hd.Although I have only had it a few weeks I can say I love it.I had talked to several friends who have d/a trucks and for about a year now and have had no problems with them,injectors or otherwise.I am a semi-tractor mechanic and have been for years.Detroit engines,cat ,cummins are all having problems with injectors and there engines in general.ITS A MACHINE AND MACHINES MADE BY MAN HAVE PROBLEMS.Do the preventive maintenance and by all means keep the fuel filter changed and myself I dont see any major problems.Besides I have 100,000 miles till I even have to think about being angry lol.Also spent 10 years in army working on m-1 tanks with a allison transmission,its the only component on the tank we never had to work on....it was almost bullet proof.Like all the other writers have said enjoy and be happy with your purchase.

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
tbrowne said:
Broker, where did you get your statistic that fewer than 0.0001% of Duramax engines are having fuel injector problems? I'd like to believe that's true, but I question the validity of the statement.

During a GM LLY seminar i spoke to the Maritime Bosch rep in Halifax NS.He said"Most Injectors that are replaced are not faulty.Gm tech's need more training to diagnose the fuel system" .Then he said that less than 9 D/A's of the 13000+ sold in the area since its intro have had injector problems.

Tom L.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Hmmmm is there a trend here?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work in the oilpatch in Alberta Canada. On my trips out to the drilling rigs I have run into 4-5 guys with D/A,s. Just for curiosity I asked them about any problems. 3 of them had injectors replaced. However these guys are probably buying diesel in remote towns and it might not be very clean or fresh fuel. But I don't like the odds.???

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am new but can provide a bit of insite to you ProblemChild.

I am a Jeeper. I even bought my D/A for one reason. To pull my Jeep around the world. Well as a Jeeper I have a very unique syndrome. Sometime called Jeepitis or just "the Sickness"

I fret and frown and worry over every aspect of my Jeep. Change this/worry that/fix it again even though it's not broke. I and many like me gravitate to groups such as this.

Sure there are a few people to have serious problems. But most of us are just worry warts that like to think prevention. Don't let the reports get you down. There are thousands of happy people pulling 5/er's all over the country with thier D/A and they will never have a problem.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Alaska Duramax said:
There are thousands of happy people pulling 5/er's all over the country with thier D/A and they will never have a problem.

I hear that, Alaska! When I took my two week trip home to Florida in February I saw maybe three times as many DMax tow rigs in use as I'd seen previously. Looks like GM is really making a dent in the previous domination of Ford and Dodge in the large trailer/5th wheel market!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Alaska Duramax said:
I fret and frown and worry over every aspect of my Jeep. Change this/worry that/fix it again even though it's not broke. I and many like me gravitate to groups such as this.

I can't tell you how may times I worry about breaking an axle or u-joint when hopping up a rock face. Most of us Jeepers who tow there Jeeps to the trail bring extra shafts and hubs with us. Think what it would be like if you had to bring extra injectors with you when going on a trip. Now that would be stressful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts