Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, towed the 5th wheel for the first time with my new to me Duramax. This is what I observed, loved the transmission was awesome during braking. The Duramax seemed to be a little quicker from a complete stop to about 50mph from there on my Cummins is way stronger. The comfort of the GMC is 100% better, although my Dodge is a 1994 reg. cab. I guess I do have the best of both worlds, since I now have the GMC and kept the old 1994 Dodge to play with. How can I get this thing to pull better from say 60mph on up? The Edge juice?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
BOZ_UT said:
Well, towed the 5th wheel for the first time with my new to me Duramax. This is what I observed, loved the transmission was awesome during braking. The Duramax seemed to be a little quicker from a complete stop to about 50mph from there on my Cummins is way stronger. The comfort of the GMC is 100% better, although my Dodge is a 1994 reg. cab. I guess I do have the best of both worlds, since I now have the GMC and kept the old 1994 Dodge to play with. How can I get this thing to pull better from say 60mph on up? The Edge Juice?

You got it!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
You failed to mention what transmission and rearend gearing your Dodge has. It can make a lot of difference in how the truck tows. If the 94 Dodge is only a little slower than the Dmax to 50 mph, then I assume you have a power chip of some kind on the Dodge.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Give your truck an ATTITUDE! Seriously though, when my truck was stock it always climbed RPM's really fast and I have a somewhat soft foot... since the EDGE install, I can cruise through the gears without reaching 2400 RPM's and the truck is pulling harder... mind you this is without a trailer hooked up, but overall it just gives it more oomph. A light touch of the pedal on the highway and it takes off like a bat out of hell

Dan

·
Registered
276 Posts
tbrowne said:
You failed to mention what transmission and rearend gearing your Dodge has. It can make a lot of difference in how the truck tows. If the 94 Dodge is only a little slower than the Dmax to 50 mph, then I assume you have a power chip of some kind on the Dodge.
That would make a huge difference.

I can speak personally to the exact same situation. I had a 1995 Cummins with an automatic. 3.73 gears.

I have a 2002 D/A combo.

I've pulled the exact same load with both, and there's NO comparison. From stopped. From 30. From 50. From 60. And the MAX that my Dodge EVER went was 70, and that was with no wind. As much as I hate to admit this, I've pulled my trailer at 85 with my Dmax. That would NEVER have happened with my Dodge.

Stock v. stock, there's absolutely NO comparison between these two trucks.

CADman_ks

·
Registered
81 Posts
CADman_ks said:
tbrowne said:
That would make a huge difference.

I can speak personally to the exact same situation. I had a 1995 Cummins with an automatic. 3.73 gears.

I have a 2002 D/A combo.

I've pulled the exact same load with both, and there's NO comparison. From stopped. From 30. From 50. From 60. And the MAX that my Dodge EVER went was 70, and that was with no wind. As much as I hate to admit this, I've pulled my trailer at 85 with my Dmax. That would NEVER have happened with my Dodge.

Stock v. stock, there's absolutely NO comparison between these two trucks.

CADman_ks
I Agree No Comp Stock to Stock, Ive been There.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I will agree, I had a 1998 Dodge 24 valve CTD w/3.50, My 2003 Duramax out pulls the Dodge in every way. I can pull a grade that the Dodge would just pull at 60mph and not have it all the way to the floor. And yes I have caught myself pulling my 5er 85mph with the Duramax. My fuel mileage pulling the 5er is just a little better than the Dodge. GM has much better ride and a lot more comfort. If GM could just fix the AC so when it was over 90 it would cool!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Dodge has 3.55 rearend, the only real mod. I have done is a fuel plate, but keep in mind this thing was only 160hp stock. Really doesn't matter I love the GMC, I just was looking for some help from you guys that have had the D/A combos for a while.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
BOZ_UT said:
My Dodge has 3.55 rearend, the only real mod. I have done is a fuel plate, but keep in mind this thing was only 160hp stock. Really doesn't matter I love the GMC, I just was looking for some help from you guys that have had the D/A combos for a while.

Well that explains it! From what I read on this forum from a Cummins guy. The fuel plate gives you a 500+ rwhp for the cheapest upgrade of any diesel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO NO, I wish that were the case. Some of the guys over there are getting 500hp but not simply from adding the fuel plate. The plate I have should be giving me somewhere around 230hp, TST recommends using this plate in my 1994 anything above this would destroy my trans.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
In all fairness you should compare two trucks of similar model years. No kidding a 2003 Dmax will outpull a 98 Cummins. In 2003/2004 Dodge put out a very different animal, truck and engine wise.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know I am not compairing the same model year, just the two I happen to own. I have no problems with how the GMC pulls, just maybe expected more. I will put the JUICE to it soon.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can say that my buddy has an '04 dodge/cummins with the EZ Juice and it cant come even close to my D/A from any speed....and I was only in level 3 with my juice! He claims his will tow better than the D/A will though. I do quite a little towing around the farm and I find it hard to believe that there is something that can beat the D/A. Someday we'll just have to hitch on to the same trailer and see what happens...

Jason

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
MaxFarmer said:
I can say that my buddy has an '04 dodge/cummins with the EZ Juice and it cant come even close to my D/A from any speed....and I was only in level 3 with my juice! He claims his will tow better than the D/A will though. I do quite a little towing around the farm and I find it hard to believe that there is something that can beat the D/A. Someday we'll just have to hitch on to the same trailer and see what happens...

Jason
I wouldn't argue that if getting to the red light first is your main objective. I think stock for stock it would be closer. We all know the Dmax is a winner with mods, hands down.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, you are right there. I know it was a lot closer then. And like I said, towing is even more different...but which way I cant say.

Jason

·
Banned
394 Posts
boz-ut........ something is wrong with your truck and if i was you i would have it towed into the dealer asap....it must have several bad injectors if it isnt doin better than an old dodge

·
Registered
111 Posts
The 230 plate that you have Is rear wheel horse power not flywheel hp most dyno over that near 250 with over 600 ft lbs of torque that is probably why you don't see much difference I don't know what torque the d-max has stock.

·
Registered
473 Posts
hoot said:
In all fairness you should compare two trucks of similar model years. No kidding a 2003 Dmax will outpull a 98 Cummins. In 2003/2004 Dodge put out a very different animal, truck and engine wise.

Hoot I will agree with you there, but BOZ_UT was comparing his 2002 Duramax against his 1994 Dodge. He said from 50 on the Cummins was stronger. This shows me that his Duramax needs some attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys Guys, the Duramax is fine, I have several friends that have them and it runs just as theirs does. Hell we race daily. I think it just needs a little juice, thats all. There is nothing wrong with having a modified OLD Dodge out perform my D/A, doesnt hurt my feelings at all. Just trying to feel this thing out and get some good advise from you guys. Went to dinner in it last night and really drove it hard, the thing is really quick out of the hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts