Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I currently drive a dodge daully but am buying a gmc 3500 srw duro ally today. The gmc rides much better than the dodge but the dodge is much "tighter " or firmer feeling on the road. The gmc feels a little more squishy at high and low speeds. Does anyone have any feeling if this squishy feeling gets worse when towing a 12K load. And if so can any thing be done about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a set of ranchos or billstiens and stabilizer bars. Just looking to see if the front end wants to porpose with that softer ifs. also sway side to side doent seem as tight as my dodge . the great ride kind of makes up for it though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a long bed no problems here, like SV said shocks are crap!!!! The only time the truck felt squishy was when I put a 12' camper in the bed before installing airbags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good so far . I am going to pick up new truck tonight. This was a tough choice to switch from dodge . Trans and interior were my biggest reasons for going with gmc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I put a set of Bilsteins on my truck and it made a world of difference. The stockers are junk.....:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
hobbes2;1580115; said:
Hey all, I currently drive a dodge daully but am buying a gmc 3500 srw duro ally today. The gmc rides much better than the dodge but the dodge is much "tighter " or firmer feeling on the road. The gmc feels a little more squishy at high and low speeds. Does anyone have any feeling if this squishy feeling gets worse when towing a 12K load. And if so can any thing be done about it.

Well the suspension in my '07 2500HD is nothing short of dangerous. I have so much body roll when traveling, unloaded and w/ 250lbs over the wheels, at high speed...70-80mph it is down right scary. My '02 Dually did not exhibit this characteristic one bit.
I have ordered a set of anti-sway bars from Tom Frederico. I hope this fixes the ride....I can't imagine towing a heavy load the way it rides now. Once again....manufacturer sacrifices function over form.

·
Registered
334 Posts
hobbes2;1580115; said:
hobbes2:

Give us a call and we will made that truck handle like it should. A good set of anti-sway bars from us will solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We like our 2500HD ride ~ did install rancho adj shocks right after purchase. This weekend will install Cognito idler/pitman support kit and have Fredrico Stabilizer kit on order. All that for 'just in case' :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like my concerns about handling were correct. I hope sway bars will correct this , hate to put 40K into a truck that is all over the road.

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
Hobbes2
I have the same truck that you are getting. I have pulled 7500lbs no problem, no all over the road, no squishy feeling. I installed a set of bilsteins right after I bought the truck, Made a major difference in handling, firmed up the ride and virtually no roll.
Steve

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
ya i would just install a new set of shocks i did in my last truck because i didn't have it lifted and it made a big difference

·
Registered
214 Posts
hobbes2;1580115; said:
You cant compare these two trucks one is duel rear and the other is single.
If you would have bought a GMC duelly you wouldnt notice a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By no means am i trying to compare the dually to a srw. Nothing tows like a dually but i just wanted to make sure that the body roll was not to bad under load . it seems like there are some different opinions on that issue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
hobbes2;1581002; said:
By no means am i trying to compare the dually to a srw. Nothing tows like a dually but i just wanted to make sure that the body roll was not to bad under load . it seems like there are some different opinions on that issue.
You are correct my friend. But anyone that has a set of anti-roll bar on their truck always says the same thing after they install them. “I can’t believe the improvement in the handling” and “I could never drive another truck again without them”.

I know this sounds like me boasting our product but, anti sway bars should not be considered an option this is a serious safety issue that has already caught the attention of GM and the US Government. The Nation Traffic and Safety Administration has already released a few reports about the lack of use of anti-roll bars by manufactures on vans and pick-ups. They even have videos of these vehicles rolling over. Dodge and Ford both offer the sway bars at minimum as an option.

This product is not a want or don’t need it product. It is a need item, even on grocery getters. No one thinks they need a safety device until it is too late. Don’t rely on my word, just do a search under Frederico Performance or sway bars and read the posts yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up my truck tonight and am pleased so far . Very nice truck . I do not life the body roll though , it is more noticeable than my dodge . Almost scary if you cut it hard and fast . Hopefully the bars will help. Tom , send me an email with some #s and how to proceed. I have a set of billstiens that i think will fit but i need to check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts