Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im converting my 1993 Sierra 3500 Ext Cab SLE w/ the 6.5 TD
It was Orginally a 2500 but have upgraded it to a 3500 suspension
I will Post Pictures soon as I Can, I want to share my parts list with everyone so im going to post it here. So Far the 4L80E is out and the NV4500 will be going in very soon. I Have a 1993 Trans fully rebuilt with the 6.34.1 Ratio.

Here is my part list, BTW if anyone is intrested with part #'s for the 3500 Conversion PM me.

4L80E to NV4500 5 Speed Conversion Parts List For My 1993 GMC Sierra 3500 6.5TD
By: HeavyDuty6Five (Diesel Place)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1993 NV4500 4x4 w/6.34.1 Ratio Trans
1993 GMC Early External Slave Bell Housing
1993 GM Clutch Pedal Assembly
AC Delco 139 Tooth Solid Mass Flywheel
Hays Super Truck Clutch Kit (90-101)
LMC Truck Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder w/Line-Pre Bled
Timken HD Ball Bearing Pilot
GM 6 Bolt Transfer Case Gasket
Transfer Case Input Seal (Double Lip) TK10517
Energy Suspension Trans Mount (3.1229R)
GM Clutch Fork Part# 12385352
GM Ball Pivot Stud Part # 15552866
GM Ball Seat Part # 15552867
GM Ball Retainer Part # 01603620
GM Slave O Ring Seal Part # 12549117
GM Clutch Pedal Return Spring Part # 15958642
GM Clutch Pedal Bracket Part # 15611292
GM Clevis Pushrod Clip Part # 93221087
GM Flywheel Dust Cover Part # 15989619
GM Flywheel Dust Cover Screws Part # 12337828
GM Bell Housing Studs Part # 15552852
GM Bell Housing Nuts Part # 11514596
GM Transmission to Bell Housing Bolts Part # 11514224
GM M/T Insulator Part # 15659649
GM M/T Trim Retainer Part # 15548584
GM M/T Boot Assembly Part # 15959690
GM M/T Shift Lever Assembly Part # 15722665
GM Transmission Mount Bolts Part # 11516845
GM Transmission Bolt Washers Part # 155531205
GM Bell Housing Clutch Hyd Line Clip Part # 00343464
GM Clutch Master Cylinder Nuts Part # 15649210
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM Flywheel Bolts are: 7/16-20 (Qty: 6)
GM Pressure Plate Bolts are: 3/8-16 (Qty: 6)
GM Manual Transmission Retainer Screws are: M4-1.41x25 (Qty 8)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Items Needed
Permatex Ultra Black or Grey
Permatex Blue Loctite
Amsoil 75-90MTG: 5 Quarts or Castrol Syntorq
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If You Need to Reseal your Transmission and Want To Inspect the Internals of the Transmission I Recommend New Bolts for the 4x4 Tail-Housing Which You Can Obtain from Quad 4x4.
I Replaced the Top Cover, Tail-Housing, and Front Retainer Bolts. You May or May Not Need to adjust Your Driveshaft’s lengths. This is a simple list of Most Parts you will need. Due to the Fact that The GM Version uses no seal in the Tail-Housing, you MUST use Double Lip Seal TK10517 or the 75-90 and ATF will Mix causing Damage to your Transmission.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Transmission in my house, first day home, more pics tommorow, its all painted a nice fresh black and sealed up and topped up with Amsoil MTG 75-90

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok So far, I have the NV4500 Ready to go, painted with High Heat Paint, and I Split the T case, which was rebuilt with the Auto. Both were rebuilt in 08. I Resealed up the NP241 and resealed it and put all new seals in it. Im just waiting for the rest of the parts this thursday and friday. I am going to be using a Centerforce Clutch Kit Dual Friction and Solid Mass Flywheel. Im just trying to figure out if i have to modify the driveshafts, bc it looks like the driveshaft can be stretched at the center bearing, and that you can also slide it at the point where it mounts. Im Hoping to be driving in 2 weeks, maybe even this weekend, but will see. Ill keep you all updated

Reactions: turbonator

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres the pedals

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch and Bellhousing today, ran out time had to do a few things, but heres the pics

Reactions: turbonator

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nice! Please keep us posted... I have thought about this conversion as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its all done im gunna get the pics up with it running and all maybe tommorow, i actually put the trans in and found out the guy lied to me about it being rebuilt so after work one fri and sat i rebuilt it completely new syncros and bearings etc etc, has the 6.34 1st gear and .73 5th. I also bought a new top cover and shifter assyembly and added the 5th gear damper. Ill get more pics up soon, as of now its been in there since may 2 and running beautifully. It was also a very easy trans to rebuild.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
155 Posts
daaaamn im jealous as hell of that. how long did it take?

·
Registered
4 Posts
daaaamn im jealous as hell of that. how long did it take?
heard that! My 4l80 just took a **** and im about to do this swap. Maybe you can help with a few questions... Can you take some more pics of the clutch pedal assembly? Apparantly there are 2 different brackets you need to hang the clutch pedal? Did you cut up your existing harness or get one from a manual truck? thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM'ed ya

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 93 also with 4l80 and i have made a parts list mostly of new aftermarket parts (gear shifter, shifter boot, master cylinder..etc). So far i have everything priced for 2100 including a rebuilt nv4500. I was wondering if the starter from the auto will work, and if i am way to high on my parts list? Also where did you get your clutch from, it looks like a centerforce?

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
depends on which starter you have. If it's the one with the big opening yes but it's tight. if it's the one with the small opening or a Direct drive(it shouldn't be DD) then no. Don't forget to install the drain tube on the back of the motor while the tranny is out or you may ruin the clutch. See my CUCV build. It has all the info.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is something else that just came up i only have till monday to get it. Its a 1988 chevy 2500 light duty (6-lug) with a 5.7l and 5 spd 4x4 for $700. the clutch is bad and it runs fine. Will this old of a truck have a nv4500? Is there some numbers on it where i can tell if its the right trans and has the right output shaft? If this trucks parts will match up i can save a ton on parts.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys havent been on here in a while, truck batteries had exploded, caught fire but salvaged a done including trans and other things i already sold. I put a ton of money, i rebuilt the trans at my job, very easy to do, and was fun. Im gunna say i spent 4G in the whole project bc i got almsot everything new ( that includes the trans rebuilt with all genuine NVG parts no knockoffs) I even bought the damper seperately fro quad 4x4 for 300.00. Someone on this fourm was a lucky person to get all my conversion goods. lololol anyway the truck had way more power and was alot funner. the 5.7 will use a SMS465 i think as the Nv4500 didnt debute till 92 or so i think. If anyone here as any questions PM me, im on here from time to time. I got a newer truck a Ford F-250 6.0 Powerstroke with 40K and Super mint clean and immaculate maintenance

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing the same project can you give me any pointers on the wiring. I would like the cruise to work and the computer harness removed. Any help would be great Thanks Rob

·
Registered
341 Posts
im thinking of doing this swap on my 94. it still has the obd 1 ecm so im assuming that it would be the same as a 93, is that right? also did u switch out cluster or know where to get one that doesnt have gear select and also what did u do about wiring at trans and steering column?

·
Registered
318 Posts
What VSS did your nv4500 have? Mine is a three prong for some reason. Of course the 4l80e has 2 2 prong speed sensors. Anybody have a wiring diagram or tips to get the speedo working? And the 4l80 speed sensors are too long to place in the nv4500.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts