Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help me? I am in desperate need for some real life info on these trucks. I see them every were from delivery to utility company trucks. I am searching for the reliability and fuel mileage for these trucks and have never owned or maintained a diesel vehicle. I must make a decision between this or the Chevy Cutaway van with the 6.o gas. Each would have a 12' box, the Chevy has a wind faring the GMC does not, is a big deal with mileage?? I haven't heard any definite good or bad about the 6.0 or the turbo diesel. Hoping to get about 6 years/150,000 out of it, mostly city miles. Looking to purchase ASAP. Any help would be of great help. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sorry I don't have any real info for you but I have seen many old 100k plus mile W models still running strong and used hard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have 3 GMC W-4 with the diesels, so far they have been great. 2 of them are 2000 and the 3rd is a 2003. The highest miles is about 130,000, so far them have been very good trucks. You will love the turning radius of these trucks!

They about 12,000 pounds in everyday city/highway driving

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the reply gottago! I was beginning to think wounder if any one else was going to reply! Strange it was today, I just meet with the sales guy at the dealer, he called and said they had the truck I was looking for coming in today, but it was the wrong up fit. I did test drive a W4500 139' wb, turned better than my '99 Savannah van! I also drove a 139" Chevy Cutaway today with a 6.0 gas and the 12' up fit I was looking for, maybe it was me but it sure seemed a little "doggy" on take off. I was wondering if you could relay any fuel mileage info on those W-4's? Do the have the turbo 4 cylinders? And what wheel base, I'm looking at the 109" with the 5.1L, was told by the sales guy to expect 15 city, 17-19 highway. Does this relate to anything in real life? Thanks for any info, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either of these trucks, the W3500 should be here by May 11th or so. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brazos: Well with out going into a long {and aggravating} story, I have been basically forced into getting the the Chevy 3500 cutaway with a utilimaster box. I have not seen nor drove one exactly like it, but that is what my boss decided to buy. I did drive the GMC W3500 and I REALLY liked it! Boss, who knows jack about trucks, thought 29K was to much. Anyway, if it were me I would of went for the diesel, and drive ability of the W3500, but now he gets stuck with the gas bills!! $1.95 gas, $1.72 diesel!! Truck gets here 3 weeks, will post more than. But I am NOT in any way bitter!! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts