Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lost my third hubcap in 11 months on my 2003 GMC 2500HD. Anybody else had similar experiences? Anybody know of hubcapos that that have a .longer threaded nut or replacement wheel nuts that have longer external threads.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Falling off or getting stolen? I would think they are likely getting stolen.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Well I would have to agree with Bill. I almost lost one the other day. They have a tendancy to come loose. You need to tighten them up from time to time and when you turn the black lug, make sure you feel it click. Then it is locked in place and should not come loose again. Just what I have found out, mine have not come loose since I did that.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Bill, the caps are plastic and can be stripped really easy using an impact wrench. Once the threads are stripped ..... that's it, they are trashed. The only way to install them is by hand, no wrench at all. Just use the 22MM socket to snug them down. There are four small depressions in the cap that will "click" or "thump" once the cap is tight.

Burner--------->

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill Gisse said:
Just lost my third hubcap in 11 months on my 2003 GMC 2500HD. Anybody else had similar experiences? Anybody know of hubcapos that that have a .longer threaded nut or replacement wheel nuts that have longer external threads.

For info, the hub caps were installed by competent(?) people when I bought the truck and again when the tires were rotated. An impact wrench was not used, they were installed in the manner as prescribed in TB #03-03-10-002 -(01/28/2003). They have been checked once a week since last May. The first cap was lost on the day I took delivery of the truck, the second a few weeks later and the third this week after having the tires rotated a couple weeks ago. I frequently found loose nuts on my weekly checks and also found stripped nuts on each wheel the first day I got the truck. There have been many words between myself and the service manager where I bought the truck. The fact is that using nuts that only contact 1 1/2 - 2 threads is mickey mouse bit of engineering in my books. When I get the last replacement hu cap from the tire shop I'll be the one to inspect it and in stall it. Will also use a a dab of silicone on each wheel nut before installing the hub caps. Should have done that from the start and mayb I wouldn't have had all this trouble. Incidentally, the sales person at my dealer is responsible for installing the hub caps when he sells the truck. This may explain why some threads were stripped at the dealer. My sales person was fired, partly because of the big fuss I made and because of similar complaints from other customers. Edited by: Bill Gisse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts