Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Pretty fast ...

Does anyone care to comment on what it cost him to get to 497/475 ??

Mac

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Mackin said:
Pretty fast ...

Does anyone care to comment on what it cost him to get to 497/475 ??

Mac

Probably alot more than you or i have in our money pits

Still impressive though
Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
505 Posts
he posts on ls1tech.com a lot. The truck was purchased with a 4.8L 4L60E trans. He did a motor swap from a junkyard 6.0L(if i remember correctly) stock internals. Then he replaced the 4L60E with a 4L80E and replaced the transfercase with the HD unit. The single intercooled turbo kit just came on the market at an estimated cost of $6,000. NX setup maybe $500-$800. So between everything i would get under $9,000 on top of the cost of the truck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
He has a T76 turbo on that.Sounds like a jet plane takeing off.
He ran a [email protected] in the 1/4 mile!!
Edited by: speedy03

·
Registered
704 Posts
$9000 to get into the 10 sec, isn't bad if it is still reliable as a dialy driver. I don't think $9000 would be enough to get a Duramax to those ETs.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Amric said:
$9000 to get into the 10 sec, isn't bad if it is still reliable as a dialy driver. I don't think $9000 would be enough to get a Duramax to those ETs.

You'd be pretty close. Especially if you put it on a diet.

I think he would have a lot more then 9000 into it. Wouldn't he have spent quite a bit on the 4L80 to hold 500hp?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
$9000?!? What's Tomac down to now? I can't believe he's spent that much yet...wasn't he low 11's?

Tom

·
Registered
704 Posts
He is at 11.95, so there is one second to go. The last second is always the most costly. If I add up the parts and labor he is using to get to 11.95, it should be over $7000-8000 already.

I'm already at $7,000, and my Duramax wouldn't hold a candle to Tomac's

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Oh, I remember the costs of racing. Racin' ain't cheap. Try building a Ford sometime...Cripes!!! I just didn't think Tomac was up that far already.

·
Registered
505 Posts
actually I forgot he has a YANK torque conv. and a shift kit in the 4L80E. So figure another $1000 or so for parts. One thing to remember is that truck only weighs 4500lbs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wonder how long that 10 bolt rear is going to stand up to that kind of HP? Yikes! Cool sounding truck though.Edited by: dndj

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had a 99 Sierra and an 02 sierra and the rear diff. went on both of them. Granted neither truck was stock or driven nicely. But I was nowhere near that power level. If you swap out the internals for the Eaton LSD it will handle the power (for a while)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You guy's can criticize all you want but that is f%#&!n awesome no matter how you look at it! Edited by: 1bad01

·
Registered
687 Posts
Shame he couldn't have ordered it with the 6.0 and 4L80.

Be pretty cool if GM would "put one together" with 3/4 ton powertrain on a nice light 1/2 ton frame and short bed.

Be a nice 14 second machine from the factory.

You'd think he'd a went with a blower...especially if he's drag racing it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A turbo will make more power than a blower, and it more adjustable.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Looks like the front end was just about ready to go air bourne.

If he had a good set of slicks, he would need wheelybars
That thing rocks! And it`s a GM full size
I completely approve of it, Diesel isn`t the only fuel, just the cheapest

There is one place MTomac is beating him on cost. FUEL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts