Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am in Perth, Western Australia.

I have looked at a kit here to replace the standard 4L petrol engine in a Nissan Patrol 1988 vintage.

The engines that are fitted are GMC 6.5 diesels with mechanical injectors. The ones sold here a fully reconditioned and not turbocharged with mechanical injectors.

I intend towing a lightweight camper with a loaded weight of 2500 pounds.

Are these engines ok? I have read a lot of complaints in different forums regarding these engines. Are most of the problems with the electronic injected models or also with the mechanical injector one?

Also I will add that it is very hot here. How will the engines cope?

Thanks

Malcolm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
with any eng swap, there are going to be problems. normally, these are small problems that can easily be worked out.

as long as the cooling system is adequate, and clean, heat shouldnt be a problem. it gets pretty hot here too.

the mechanical pump system is more simple, less parts to break, been around a long time and considered by most to be the most trouble free system to use (certainly cheaper to replace). even the new diesels are having trouble with fuel systems, (at least ford and G.M.) and they are much more expensive to repair.

the only thing i would have a problem with is it being a non-turbo eng. it would have to have a turbo if it were me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The earlier 6.5s had reputations for cooling problems, particularly when towing heavy loads. If your engine is 1997 vintage or later, it would have a higher capacity water pump / dual thermostat setup which moves more coolant, particularly to the heads.

I bought a 10 year old mechanically injected '93 pickup almost a year ago. Chose it over the early electronic '94-'97s that were also in the price range - too many horror stories. I upgraded cooling on my truck just in case, even though I don't do a lot of heavy work with it. I got the '97 upgrades and a larger fan/clutch assembly from kennedydiesel.com here in the States. It would be a good idea to make sure your conversion has a beefy radiator to handle the cooling load.

One other thing to pay attention to, particurlarly on 6.5 engines over 60,000 mi / 100,000 kms is the vibration damper mounted low at the front of the crankshaft. It has an outer steel ring bonded via a rubber ring to the main "pulley". It is essential to the health of the crankshaft... Others on this page will do a better job at explaining this...

All that said, a new or well reconditioned 6.5 should last well, particularly with the smaller size of your "host" vehicle.

Post pictures or links for this or similar conversions?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Bill, While I agree that the price is Steep, if it is indeed $250 like you like said it is, The guy you link to is marketing other products to reduce engine heat. I don't buy into his claims for waterpump failure from the quicker engaging clutch. I do agree that you can make your stock clutch engage sooner by adjusting it. Did you buy his new clutch fan and test it and have facts about it not working, or facts about anything else you claim?

The post before you is promoting a product with out bashing anyone else. Try to do the same. Unless you are acually Jim from A1

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
You see, the thing is that every week there is another post like this:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005059

singing praises of how well their trucks now run after modification.

Then we get a guy like Diesel Bill with absolutely NOTHING to add but negativity...

Truth be told, the HO cooling mods, my fan and clutch will likely NOT work on this application because they only work with serpentine belts...

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have purchased several items from JK, and a few items elsewhere. Is there a difference in a starter from Auto Zone compared to a starter from Delco? If i buy the Delco starter, which is sure to be twice the price of the other, am i getting ripped-off? NO, there are other factors that go into a decission of where to buy anything.

Some of those factors may be: quality of product, level of service provided and cost. Which is the most important? That is for the individual to decide.

Just because i would choose the more expensive Delco starter, doesnt mean i get ripped off, just means i dont want to replace my starter every three months, even if they do offer a "lifetime" warranty.

(BTW: thanks JK, my truck is one BAD 6.5)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Bill, AKA as Jim, The price I said was from your, i mean Jim's site. Thats where the info came from.

Please show me the tests you conducted on shaft load of the water pumps, or where Jim has done them. It is only his/ your opinion. With out any test or proof it's worthless info. Common sense as you put it would see the load as the same just more often. The upgraded fan JK sells is a GM fan for a GM waterpump and like you, i mean Jim says on his site site using GM parts is best.

You are either Jim or his life partner and thats why you have to stick up for your man.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The good news is that DIESEL BOZO,err Bill,(a.k.a. Jim B.) will probably go away soon now that he's been "discovered" by others.....

Joey D: You'ld probably be able to hit the lottery 10 times in a row before you'ld get ANY kind of credible info from that lowlife.........

my grandmother knows more about diesels than him.....................and she's dead!!!!!!

Tom

P/S- an appology to the mods for my post, but this guy ruins a good thing for everyone else with his one track mind.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Malcie,

In response to your question of 6.5 will it cope its hot here; depending on block vintage and what you do as far as loading it should be okay, remember this is same engine basically as in military HUMV, a turbo sure wakes it up, if it will fit a 6.5 turbo would be the way I would go. You can lower op temps by opening exhaust, and reduce inlet air restrictions, and also net some power gain at the wheel. When you get your set up picked out re post what you might be interested in, plenty of folks here with the experience to let you know what pitfalls there may be. Sounds like an interesting project, btw how far from Garden Island base are you I sometimes work there on RAN, FFG and ANZAC frigates they have the LM2500 turbines I work on, maybe we could hook up next time I'm over that way. BTW the fan clutch in ??? has been on mine for 2 years no problems so far, and it used my stock fan blade. As JK said good possibility it would not work on yours anyway as it's for serpentine set. Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why don't we all go grab a bear and a hot chick and chill. The diesel performance scene is the only place i have seen so much mud slinging in aftermarket parts. The only thing i have really gotten so far is to say *uck both companies and buy from banks. He is a known and trusted turbo guy. Who doesn't even bother with argueing with competitors.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Bill, What I was saying is the fan is a GM part, not his clutch. As far as test data, I am not promoting or selling anything. You on the other hand are. See the diff? You link to a site that bashes another with out offering any facts to back them up.

I would avoid any
fan clutch that comes on sooner than the factory intended,
especially non proven product
with little testing before marketing.

This is from your post so please explain it. If you can't I will understand and acually expect it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts